Gore Friday 3-25-2016

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Friday 3-25-2016

Brownski
Logistics and other commitments made Saturday a tough day for us to get away but, thanks to the Good Friday Holiday, both my sons and I were available to ski on Friday. The forecast called for rain and heavy fog in the morning so I wasn't in a big hurry to get started. We reached Gore around 11. It was still socked in and the boys were hungry so I let them hit the lodge for an early lunch and I went up the mountain by myself. The fog was pretty thick but Uncas and the other upper mountain runs skied nice. The snow was soft and loose. I like to pick a side and make lots of quick turns on steeper runs. In foggy conditions it works especially well because the trees give me a reference and prevent me from loosing depth perception. It was fun. I kept at it on the upper mountain til the fog started to lift. Lies was the run of the day for me.

Once the clouds started to lift, I headed back down to retrieve my boys. They were ready to go. My nine year old got his first ride on a gondola  and we spent the afternoon exploring the blue runs on the lower mountain. Conditions were pretty good except for the actual puddles. I told my sons to straightline them. My younger son got a kick out of zipping across the water and declared that he was pond-skimming them. In between the few puddles the snow was soft and pliable. Everybody enjoyed the warm weather. Gore is the biggest place my nine year old ever skied. He was impressed by the rocks under the gondola and along the trails. My older boy was glad to be somewhere new and had a lot of fun too.

When, at the end of the day, I told them I was gonna climb the learning area on the other side of the lodge to take a picture, my kids asked if they could ski it. Sure, why not. I was tickled that they were eager for a few earned turns even after skiing all afternoon. There wasn't much snow over there but I lugged my own skis up for the hell of it. It was another great day.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Friday 3-25-2016

snoloco
Looks like you had a good time despite the weather and limited terrain.  Always nice when a day looks to be a bust with fog and r*in but then turns out to be perfectly fine later.  You always get the place to yourself when that happens.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Friday 3-25-2016

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote

Future Plattekill Passholders
That shot is all Brownski.

Sweet report bud, sorry we missed you, glad you had a great day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp