Gore Hedges Trail

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Hedges Trail

snoloco
In 12-13, I skied out of Burnt Ridge through the Tahawus Glades many times.  In 13-14, they upgraded Hedges to a real trail so you could ski from BR right out to Tahawus.  Has anyone skied the new Hedges trail last year?  How is the pitch, and is there snowmaking?  If anyone has any pictures, that would be great.  I never got the chance to ski it in 13-14 because I only went to Gore once and Burnt Ridge was closed then.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Hedges Trail

Thacheronix
snoloco wrote
I skied out of Burnt Ridge through the Tahawus Glades

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco

It's got enough pitch to ensure you can reach the north chair without getting any real exercise. I don't think it has snowmaking, but it's short and I think they can blow up and down it from the ends and push snow to cover it, mostly.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It looks like it has quite a lot of coverage in that picture, so I would think that it either has snowmaking hookups, or they blew 2 big piles at each end and then pushed it out.  As long as both Burnt Ridge and Tahawus are open, they can cover it.  It is definitely nice to be able to reach the Saddle Lodge without going through the crowded main base area or relying on the glade to be open.  When I skied Tahawus Glades, it always had enough coverage, but due to it being the only way to get from Burnt Ridge to the North Side, it probably had quite a bit of marginal tree skiers, so having the trail will keep the glade less crowded and the snow preserved.

I also skied Barkeater and Chatterbox glades that season.  I seem to remember that they had good coverage, but I did bottom out a couple times.  I do think that Gore keeps its glades better cleared than some other places because at Hunter I tried to ski the Milky Glades and I bottomed out countless times on jagged rocks (don't know how I didn't get a core shot) and I also got my skis caught under roots.  I ended up back on the trail in a heartbeat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I do think that Gore keeps its glades better cleared than some other places because at Hunter I tried to ski the Milky Glades and I bottomed out countless times on jagged rocks (don't know how I didn't get a core shot) and I also got my skis caught under roots.  I ended up back on the trail in a heartbeat.
Gore has some big advantages over Hunter for tree skiing.

More snow.
Less rain.
Smoother rock.
and of course...
MIB.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Gore literally gets twice as much snowfall.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Here is one thing that really surprised me.  

When I looked at the 1998 trail map for Mountain Creek's first season, I noticed that there was a glade on the map right up near the top of the South Peak between Canyon and Jumpin' Jack.  It was only on the map that season and is not on the 1999 map.  I think that they de-mapped it because they never got enough snow to have it open, so why maintain it.  However, this season they got a ton of natural snow and people were poaching the downhill biking trails and liftlines for weeks.  They actually had to rope them all off.  Some people suggested on their facebook page that they add glades and they said that if they get another season with lots of natural snow, they might consider it.

Another reason they might have de-mapped it was because it was probably a hideout for people to smoke as well as
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242