Gore House tips

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore House tips

SIAWOL
Alright folks...looks like we've got some momentum in our household to buy a place near Gore. Have a few spots in mind already, but looking for tips and things to consider. As well as recommendations and experiences in North Creek/Johnsburg area with:

-reliable and trustworthy snow removal. Not any significant driveway. More walkway than anything.
-plumbers, electricians
-home inspectors
-north creek village snow removal practices--good, bad, ugly?
-renting out property---was thinking 2 weeks/yr to stay under tax limits. What are the weeks (other than Christmas/Pres Week) that sell well?

Anything else to consider? Pretty well set on location. Just looking for insight from some other folks who have made the North Creek area a second home.

And yes...the backyard will have snowmaking so I can open it by 12/26. But no bubble lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore House tips

Highpeaksdrifter
This post was updated on .
SIAWOL wrote
Anything else to consider? .
I have no experience in owning a 2nd home in North Creek, but I do in the ADK's, so my tips are in general.

If given the choice when picking which house to buy....I'd take town sewer over septic and town water over well.

You mentioned renting...we found ADK By Owner to be the best "Do it yourself" rental service by far. We never rented in the winter, but did in the summer and fall and did pretty good with it. Like anything else renting does have its own set of aggravations, but it is a good way to mitigate costs.  

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
Welcome to North Creek buddy.

I'm really jammed up at work today but will weigh in with my two cents tonight.

EDIT:

For me the key with ANY contractor is trustworthiness, reliability and fairness.  These characteristics are even more important when you are managing a place that you don't live in. You've got to have someone you can rely on.

After years of bumping around between different contractors, Shaman turned me on to Andy Amell.  He's top shelf.  I originally connected with him for plowing, but soon realized he can handle most anything.

One key point: he understands my motivation as a skier. If it's snowing, he knows I'm coming and arriving late. Nothing better than coming around that corner at 10pm and finding that drive plowed and sanded.

Plumbing and electrical = he knows his stuff.  Call him and tell him Harv sent you.

Amell Contracting
Mobile: 518 932-4200
Work: 518 251-0864
amellcontracting@yahoo.com

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I would add Mike Moon as a carpenter from Warrensburg. Trustworthy, fair and dependable.  518 260 3244.

I would suggest forced hot air heat for a winter second home. It heats up really quick and when you do lose power you don't have to worry about the heating system freezing.

I have a flat roof over part of my house and it really sucks. Avoid that if you can.

Finally, at least for me, less is more. Less square feet to heat, less things to break, etc

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Also, try to avoid private roads, unless you want to pay for plowing.