|

Re: Gore Mountain: 12/13/2014

Harvey
Administrator
Adk Jeff wrote
Yes! This is the money shot.

Adk Jeff wrote
Call me a bad dad...
Nope! Bet this is the story D tells in school.

I keep my skins in my boot bag for this (or whatever) after once booting up Fairview, which wasn't easy.  Even if Cave doesn't have enough cover Ruby is probably the way to go.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Yes, Saturday was an amazing day to be up top. I was one of the lucky few (probably about 30 people) who were "stuck" up there when the Gondy went down (also before they got the Darkside chair open). So from 8:30 to around 11:45 we basically had our own private mountain that hadn't been open all week and was covered in powder. And the Straightbrook quad was walk on. It was one of the greatest days ever (and that was after we got first tracks on Chattie after they dropped the rope - actually, it was more of a mass rope ducking when patrol gave the green light).

And yeah, the best snow (after we lapped Chatty 3 times) was in the trees. I don't think you were alone in ducking some ropes, Jeff.

As for the glades, I "heard" they did a little cleanup of the upper part of nugget, but, yes, there was another tree down toward the exit. "McIntyre woods" was completely unchanged, and that exit is not going to be good news in the future. Dark Side glades might have been the run of the day after those first few runs on Chattie (and a few unmentionables)
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Nice pics!

I noticed on the glade sign guidelines.."pole straps off". What is the reason for this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Pole straps off - so you don't break your wrist if your pole gets stuck.  I never ski with straps on anymore.

Great photo and reports.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Nice pictures and report! I gotta get up there for a POW day this year
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
Pole straps off - so you don't break your wrist if your pole gets stuck.  
You are more likely to sustain a shoulder injury before you break your wrist
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Another reason to not use pole straps in the woods are tree wells.  This is a concern in deep powder conditions, which we are unlikely to encounter in the East, but is good to be aware of since we all will end up skiing out West at some point.  I was actually ignorant about this, essentially a void of snow around a tree that a skier typically ends up head first and becomes buried in snow and unable to move or breathe.  Survivors have reported how incredibly difficult it is to remove ones pole straps.  
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
It really was an "all-time" type of day.

Adk Jeff gets a nomination for the coolest dad award for sure.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Call me a bad dad...
Nope! Bet this is the story D tells in school.
Yeah, it had all the elements for A1 adventure.  We traversed out a certain ridge that we haven't visited for some time (D's idea, not mine ).  There were like 2 tracks ahead of ours on the traverse (FRK?).  Had to take the skis off something like 4 times to get over blowdown.  It was hard work and you didn't know if it was going to all work out or if we'd end up post holing our way through blowdown all the way back to the trail.  And then there's always the (slim but real) possibility of getting busted by patrol. But eventually we got to the goods and and the goods were great.  I let Daniel lead through the easiest sections, which he dug.

mattchuck2 wrote
Yes, Saturday was an amazing day to be up top. I was one of the lucky few (probably about 30 people) who were "stuck" up there when the Gondy went down (also before they got the Darkside chair open). So from 8:30 to around 11:45 we basically had our own private mountain that hadn't been open all week and was covered in powder.
It was surreal.  We felt super lucky to be there.  A top 10 day for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I was one of the lucky few, too. It was snow nirvana. I eventually hit the Saddle for a break. I realized I was sitting next to Mattchuck after I left the Saddle. There were some comments about a modeling career that jogged my memory.

Upside down rainbow over Topridge

Pinebrook

Heading down Chatiemac

On Chatiemac enjoying natural bumps

Crowded AE2 over a crowded Showcase

Pete Gay

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^Nice pics.