Gore Mountain Burnt Ridge chairlift condition?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain Burnt Ridge chairlift condition?

Denis.N
Does anyone know if BR chair in good operation condition?

I'm asking, because last Saturday it had stopped for 20 minutes, which is not a big deal, but next day (Sunday, Feb 27) it was running really slow. I did not ski this weekend, but according to conditions report it was not running  ...

P.S. I asked this question Gore Mt. staff thru "Contact Us" on their site, but got no reply...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain Burnt Ridge chairlift condition?

Harvey
Administrator
Burnt Ridge Quad is fine. It will be running tomorrow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Nice job by Gore today - no BR, no North quad, no High Peaks. At least they are still charging full price for about 60% of the mountain with 25 inches of new snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
was that due to wind, business, technical issues or lack of staff?

WF only had gondy, summit, facelift and lookout open plus the regular lifts servicing the green stuff at the bottom..  They were not running Mt run.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
I was there March 8 as well.  With the upper two parking lots full, and several tour busses in the parking lot, there sure were a lot of people to have that much of the mountain closed.  Don't forget that Twister was closed for racing, too.  

It was a bluebird day, and not windy at all.  
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Nice job by Gore today - no BR, no North quad, no High Peaks. At least they are still charging full price for about 60% of the mountain with 25 inches of new snow.
That's Gore.

A few years ago I went there on a Tuesday with 16 inches on the ground, and found the same situation. When i whined to a patrolmen about it, he matter of factly told me, like I was an idiot or something, that it was Tuesday. You know, it's, like, Tuesday! It took me a few minutes to understand. One of the downsides of dealing with a state run "business".
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hehehe. ^^^  It's Tuesday dammit!

" OOHHH!... It's TUESDAY "
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Not that the Denis N's first post was intended this way, but it's been far too long without a Gore complaint thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ski2moro
ski2moro wrote
  Don't forget that Twister was closed for racing, too.  
I was wondering why the HS3 was open.

This is the ckicken/egg thing. There are not enough sliders at Gore to open those sections - so why bother? If Gore would step up and promote mid week maybe there would be more people showing up. I used to take my week vaca with the family at Gore during March. My mellow wife (blues only) is so pissed that the North Quad is usually closed that we are headed to Stratton this year. Stratton closes lifts also, but all its trails can still remain open. Gore's funky layout prevents this, but too bad. The ticket prices do not go down in March - just the open terrain.

By the way a Stratton package deal is only a few bucks more than Gore plus we are staying slopeside. For me the terrain at Stratton is blah (compared to Gore) but all of it will be open. Also, not having to load onto the car and going back to our place for lunch is a huge positive.

Gore's weekend advantage of few lift lines / no crowding has no meaning midweek on the East coast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
x10003q wrote
ski2moro wrote
  Don't forget that Twister was closed for racing, too.  
I was wondering why the HS3 was open.

This is the ckicken/egg thing. There are not enough sliders at Gore to open those sections - so why bother? If Gore would step up and promote mid week maybe there would be more people showing up. I used to take my week vaca with the family at Gore during March. My mellow wife (blues only) is so pissed that the North Quad is usually closed that we are headed to Stratton this year. Stratton closes lifts also, but all its trails can still remain open. Gore's funky layout prevents this, but too bad. The ticket prices do not go down in March - just the open terrain.

By the way a Stratton package deal is only a few bucks more than Gore plus we are staying slopeside. For me the terrain at Stratton is blah (compared to Gore) but all of it will be open. Also, not having to load onto the car and going back to our place for lunch is a huge positive.

Gore's weekend advantage of few lift lines / no crowding has no meaning midweek on the East coast.

You should go to Killington. Stratton is a bore. KMart has both tons of cruisers and enough trees to keep everyone happy.

Ditto on the marketing, but, I've said it before. If Gore operated in a competitive free market environment, they'd have that mountain almost fully open on a nice March day. But, hey, who's going to lose their job if they don't when the budget is already set for the year?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by x10003q
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
One simple word...privatize (I don't even know if it's a real word).  Even with the budget cuts, grumpy midweek skiers, paid parking, etc...fact is Gore makes money for NYS.  The races that everyone is upset about for closing Twister...they make good money for NYS too.  It is what it is and it won't change unless the state decides to sell it (and we know that won't happen).  I only skied the morning yesterday and really wanted to get over to Burnt Ridge (yes it was open), but the snow was so incredible on the Dark Side.  Chatimac and Hawkeye were incredible if you like the groomed, too.  It is unfortunate that so much is closed during the week, but there is still a lot to enjoy...it could be worse
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
sudsnbumps wrote
fact is Gore makes money for NYS.  
How do you know that? Are you an accountant for ORDA? Do you work at a high level somewhere in the state bureaucracy and are privy to the final numbers? I hear this all the time from various people connected with Gore, especially some who work there or have a vested interest in the place surviving. But, you know, even if you were, I'll bet those books are so cooked and confusing to most that if you put them in front of ten of the best forensic accountants, you'd get ten different opinions.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Benny Profane wrote
sudsnbumps wrote
fact is Gore makes money for NYS.  
How do you know that? Are you an accountant for ORDA? Do you work at a high level somewhere in the state bureaucracy and are privy to the final numbers? I hear this all the time from various people connected with Gore, especially some who work there or have a vested interest in the place surviving. But, you know, even if you were, I'll bet those books are so cooked and confusing to most that if you put them in front of ten of the best forensic accountants, you'd get ten different opinions.
Here is the ORDA budget from 2009-2010:
ORDA Budget
If you want the details you can fish around on the internet or you can go up to Lake Placid. This shows Gore with a positive cash flow of $450,000.
I do not think that ORDA "cooks the books". However I think the board members own self interest drives the decisions that waste money (convention center in LP).
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
 I was lookin around awhile back and could not find out precisely who is paying for the CC. One article written during last year's budget delay/debacle ( when State funds were tied up ) " hinted " the  CC's construction would not be delayed by the budget crisis as the State funds were already in place. Maybe correct or just a misspeak by the players.

I found it odd that the dozen or so articles I read had no direct evidence as to who paid for it OR who will own it....State, town, Orda? I believe the previous building/Convention Center was owned by the Town of N. Elba.

Personally, I'ld bet Gore turns more than $450,000 profit per year, don't care what their books say. Not that they're crooked per se, but people, esp. Government have all kinds of ways to make it look like they need more money. When in Court and a forensic audit is truly done, Holy Snike! a different picture frequently emerges.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote
 people, esp. Government have all kinds of ways to make it look like they need more money. When in Court and a forensic audit is truly done, Holy Snike! a different picture frequently emerges.
Right. One has to be a bit naive after all that has happened during Enron and beyond to think that accountants don't simply, well, lie, in a very sophisticated way, if it means making a large sum of money for all parties involved, including said accountants. And, that's private industry we're talking about. Public financing is now in a situation that Warren Buffet mentioned after the crash in '08, which is, you know, the "when the tide goes out, you find out who has been swimming naked" thing. I wouldn't believe a public accounting statement as far as I can throw it, especially these days. That financing is about as illusory as can be, because no one is penalized if it's been mis-stated and signed off on. They even get re-elected.

NPR had a piece yesterday about problems in Pennsylvania municipalities, twenty of which are in serious trouble, and the "fixer" who goes around and figures out what's wrong and tries to correct things. One of them is Reading, and, it was amazing what the guy found. Horrible bookeeping, and totally amateur management of those books. They literally did not know how much they needed to spend and how much was coming in. That is what happens when you give politicians money to manage. I doubt that Reading is unique in this world.

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
EXACTLY BP!

I'ld go one step further and say that's what happen's when millions of dollars of other people's money is handled by others and the others will face no penalty if caught screwing things up or stealing. That is a key yardstick. Any group,esp Gov., who handles megamoney that's not theirs and has No Real oversight is vulnerable to graft.

Additionally, this is what happens when people, ie the public essentailly  "let" their servants get away with financial BS.

Accounting reports aren't really worth squat, esp those for the Goverment. Accounting firms always use nebulous terms and will never sound alarms to theft/squander or else they'ld never get hired. They always end with a short phrase/clause that gives them wiggle room to get off the hook if the crap hits the fan. " There are areas that need clean up or straighten out ".  It takes mega bucks/time/desire/subpeonas to root through their books if you ever wanted to sort it out so they relie on that " shield ". Some Accounting firms with particularly  "lax" standards are often sought out by these groups.

Bernie Madoff had dozens (hundreds?) of accountants/regulators and their reports/audits  " watching " him. They all failed miserably.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I just looked at the budget.  Orda is spending $391k in corporate development expenses to bring in only $360k in corporate sponsorship / advertising income.  Those marketing guys in the real world would be looking for other work right about now but given its a state run business they probably have jobs for life.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
The numbers show ~$500k income WITHOUT depreciation. It's a loss of 5.9M with depreciation. But since the taxpayer is footing the bill for the depreciation, the taxpayer is losing money on ORDA.

tom