Gore Mountain Condos -- thoughts?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Mountain Condos -- thoughts?

TomCat
I bought a small house near Gore 6-7 years ago and have been happy with the choice. We live in NJ, so a house with property was desirable for us vs. the condo. The house does have some headaches though.

One regret is having a house with part of the roof being flat. It's a major pain to rake the roof after a day of skiing.

Someone mentioned poor insulation at one of the condos. I would definately ask to see the heating bill. Oil and propane are a lot more expensive than when I bought in 2006.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Petronio
For ease of travel Gore is your best bet. That is one of the reasons I purchased at Gore. We also looked at Stratton and Killington. From north NJ Gore is a little over 3 hours of all highway except for the last 20 miles. The other 2 were much longer, although the Bennington bypass in VT, Rt 279, cut some time in getting to Stratton.

Top Ridge units are clearly the best units available in the area, but it looks like there are another 60 or so planned units. The builder seems to build units as they are sold. This a way for the builder not to overextend financially. The problem is the site could be under construction for 10 more years or longer at the current pace of sales. This also assumes that the builder will be able to (or want to) finish the project. There are lots of variables. It might take a long time for the owners to gain control of the site.  The project map says it was approved in 2007.

The Summit is a completed, operating, group of townhomes. But the 25 year old Summit units do not compare to the Top Ridge units. Once you get a feel for the area by visiting you will be able to make your decision.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
The people here have offered some good advice.

Petrino, I don't have a long drive, but it seems to me that adding another hour could be a very bad thing. The more the driving burden, the less you'll enjoy it and over time you may use it less. But if your schedule is such that when you come up you stay for 4-5-6 days, it may not matter as much.

Also, like you said driving secondary roads could be a big negative. They tend to be not as plowed as the interstates and may even be more dangerous a trip.

Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Top Ridge units are clearly the best units available in the area, but it looks like there are another 60 or so planned units. The builder seems to build units as they are sold. This a way for the builder not to overextend financially. The problem is the site could be under construction for 10 more years or longer at the current pace of sales. This also assumes that the builder will be able to (or want to) finish the project. There are lots of variables. It might take a long time for the owners to gain control of the site.  The project map says it was approved in 2007.
We made sure when we purchased in 2010 that the development was fully sustainable with the number of units already sold.  This way our homeowners dues fully cover the maintenance, whether they sell more or not. I really doubt that they will ever reach the 60 units planned, but it makes no difference to us, financially or otherwise.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I think the driving discussion got us to buy in town.  Would you rather drive 10-20 minutes to ski in a snowstorm to the ski area on backroads, or 10-20 minutes in summer to the beach.  We are in North Creek and it is 10 min to Minerva beach, 10 to 13th lake and minutes to the many swimming holes on the Hudson (find some local advice).  The issue for us with lake george is the mind-numbing traffic in the summer.  We have found N.Creek to be the best of both worlds.  We are 3 minutes to the base, but now jump on at the ski bowl (you can basically park at the lift)  As goreskimom said we also sometimes head home for lunch and then head back out for the afternoon.  In the summer it is a quick hit to whatever summer outdoor fun you want.  And there is a great network of hiking/mountain bike trails that were cut by Steve Ovit, former DEC ranger for the area.  And let's not forget on some weekdays there are 20 pairs of skis in the racks in front of the lodge.  I lapped echo and sagamore one monday and saw the occasional patroller.  Gotta love the "this place is all mine" days.
As or the house/condo issues totally get the maintenance.  but remember there is a cottage industry of house caretaking for summer places (in the winter).  And those folks are always looking for more work.  Good luck on your searches.  Glad to talk if you want to email.
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
First of all, Gore is hands down the best secret in eastern skiing (well maybe Saddleback, but how owns a helicopter to get to Rangely Maine?).  We lived and skied for years in Colorado and had a condo in Silverthorne. We loved it.  Very easy, no maintenance.  When we moved back to NJ, we Deb and I attended a tele clinic and fell in love with Gore. Even though I worked t Mtn Creek, we took every opportunity to get to Gore.   Growing up in NJ and skiing all the Vt. mountains, there is no better value than Gore IMHO.  We we're serious about pulling the trigger on a single family home in Jonsburg and got cold feet in case there was a problem with the home.  2 years later, we checked out the Summit on a whim over Memorial day weekend.  By labor day weekend we were homeowners at the Summit.  We love it.  I have not had problems with renters and the price was very reasonable.  Also, the management is new and they are extremely attentive to the property. It's not perfect, but it does the job for us. Topridge townhomes are really nice, but significantly more $ than the Summit. It really depends what your pricepoint is? I love shutting the water and walking away each weekend.  BTW, summers are fantastic up there.  Take a week to experience it.        

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
What are you spending every month in common charges at the Summit?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
What about the Front Street Project?  They built two big duplex units and they sit very close to the Snow Bowl lift. As far as I know they are for sale.  Anyone have any info on the status of the development?  

Maybe the developers would like to get the ball rolling and sell the first unit at a discount just to show their is some progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
At Front St the first 2 duplexes are sold and they are constructing another right now ( so 6 units so far), and they have 11 units total that can be built in phase 1.The monthly fees at The Summit are $325/mo and $200/mo at Topridge. I'm unsure what the dues are Front St.. The developers do not seem to be in a hurry and the new units being built are listed at $750,000.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Topridge dues have gone up - they are about $350/mo, which includes a reserve fund for major maintenance projects.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Ski Bowl Village (Front Street) has not yet had an arms length sale; previous sales to friends only. Top Ridge has a long way to go before the homeowners will,have control and financial sustainability. This limits the ability of a buyer getting a mortgage.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
adkskier wrote
 Ski Bowl Village (Front Street) has not yet had an arms length sale; previous sales to friends only.
That's odd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by adkskier
SkiBowl village seems to me priced so far out of the range of the rest of the market . . . even the houses in the Preserve are cheaper.   Dropping that kind of coin on a ski condo seems more appropriate to Aspen or Vail than North Creek.  But then, I haven't even been there yet, so who am I to opine . . .

Again, thanks to all who have weighed in on the topic.  All of this is very informative and has given me a lot to chew on.  Looking forward to our first trip up next month.  If the girls like the mountain (I'm pretty sure I will), I will schedule a couple of more visits before end of season.

(It's funny -- I know a lot of folks who ski, and Gore almost never comes up.  It's all either Vermont or out west.  Very strange given what I have read on this board over the past year+.)

Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
You haven't heard about it because the first thing I learned when I got up there, which I will pass on to you, is that there is a rule.  
If you like it, don't tell anybody!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ut oh.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Gorefarmhouse
Ski Bowl Village/Front Street applied for permits in May, 2006 and were approved April ,2008. More than 5 years have passed and all they have built (or are building) are 4 units out of 13 units in this first phase. These are at the very bottom of the property. The size and scope of the property is enormous.

People have been trying to develop this property since 1982. Elliot Monter trying to develop the Ski Bowl in North Creek in 1982.  It is now over 30 years.

Maybe snoloco's grandkids will see it finished.

I think maybe they won't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Are any of the utilities covered in the fees paid at the Summit and Topridge?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Goreskimom wrote
Are any of the utilities covered in the fees paid at the Summit and Topridge?
The Summit includes cable.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Topridge does not include utilities.  We decided not to get cable and just use Netflix while we are up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
The cable TV is poor at the Summit.   Non-HD TV is like watching a B&W TV from the 1950s.  We bought a Roku and watch ESPN on demand live in HD, plus recent TV shows, Warren Miller TV, etc.