Re: Gore Mountain March 7th >:0

Powderqueen
the website said due to wind
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chris
It's too bad.  It seems like fixed grip lifts should have be OK today.  Though I'm sure Sugarloafs accident earlier in the year didn't help the decision makers to take any risk.

Sure sucks for those who trucked thu the snow.

MORE GORE!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
For future days like this, it would seem like a great idea to send the lifties who would be operating the wind held lifts down to the ski bowl, and BRQ.  Lower elevation, less wind.  

You can get to Burnt Ridge via gondi/ADK service.  On powder days I'm sure people would walk/cat shuttle.  (I know the cat shuttle is a far cry)
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by tommy
The website indicated the Adk Express detachable triple was running all day... was it shut down too?

I was surprised when I saw the wind holds because NWS was saying winds up to only 15mph.  That shouldn't have been much of a problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lifts were on wind hold across ski country.  In my experience, in the northeast, it's not unusual to have high winds after 2 feet of snow.  If you called in sick and made the drive, you have to know you are gambling with windholds. It was surprising that NWS didn't call it. In my experience, they seem to OVER estimate winds a lot.

In addition, I think some employees had problems getting to the mountain.

With regard to the Adk Express, don't know for sure what happened. Folks who left in the early afternoon said the Express wasn't running. On the website, late in the day it was listed as running so maybe they got it going?

I also heard that Gore refunded ticket purchases today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp