7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain, NY: 2/16/13

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 22: Quite a day for us as a family, the good and the not so good.  We decided to base out of the Ski Bowl, which means breaksfast at Cafe Sarah...

Parked up front at 8am, boarded the first chair. After a run on Oak Ridge, we headed for the interconnect.

This was Neve's first time on Burnt Ridge. On the way up the Quad, she had tons of questions about Sagamore, the trail below.

It was decked out in corduroy, so we decided to give Neve her first shot at black diamond terrain.

Sagamore is basically a long Blue trail with two Black pitches.  The first of those two pitches intimidated Neve, and it took us a while to get down it. One the first T2B run on Sagamore, she took two spills. Basically she was honkin so hard on her wedge that she kinda sat down.

On the lift ride back up, she said she wanted another shot at it, and she cruised the whole length of trail with confidence and in control. It was very cool.

We skied some on the North Side and Neve seemed to hit a wall.

We went into the Saddle Lodge for an early lunch around 11:15.  After lunch Neve said she wanted to go back to the cabin to play cards.

We headed down Tahawas to Pipeline.

I've always felt that the Pipeline Traverse was, to me, no big deal. Others have said that it's not practical for their families. I was curious to see how Neve would react.

She loved it. She was into the skating.

Back at the Ski Bowl I said goodbye to my girls and headed back up to check out the trees.  The are generally pretty packed out, but very skiable. I found them to be fun enough.

Tahawas Glade

Eventually I made my way back to the Ski Bowl at about 3:30 and called it a day.

It turns out Neve has the same cold/congestion thing that Zelda and I had the last two weeks, so it looks like our weekend is done, we're heading home in the morning.

Really bummed to miss ml skiing his first day at Gore ever, tomorrow.  Hope you have a great day bro.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain, NY: 2/16/13

diamonddave
Sounds like a challenging day Harvey.  I'm awaiting a few of those once I get Arlo onto skis, I'm sure.  

Matt...can't believe you've never been to Gore!  My favorite big mountain skiing in the East for sure.  Never seems to get too crowded, especially the upper mountain pods and Burnt Ridge.  This will be my first year not going there since 07' and it's killing me!  You will have a blast...
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
A day with young kids on skis, while totally different than a day on the hill with your buddies, is just as fulfilling, if not more. You need a different mindset...have to lose the sense of urgency and appreciate the little things on the hill with your kids.  It also makes those times when you do get out with your buddies that much more memorable.  

Plus....from what I hear, before you realize it, you are going to be atruggling to keep up with them.  And, soon enough they aren't going to want to ski with us...only their friends.  

There is a lot more snow up at Gore than down here at Platty.  Yesterday was a bit scratchy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
A day with young kids on skis, while totally different than a day on the hill with your buddies, is just as fulfilling, if not more.
+1000. Even with Neve's malady, yesterday was a really great day for us.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Sounds like a nice day, I have learned not to push my daughter longer than she wants to go. Although I hate calling it a day early, she is really done by 3:00 usually.

I really gotta get to the ski bowl, I am just waiting for more snow. I may end up waiting till 2014 at the rate things are going.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
In reply to this post by Marcski
Skied today for the first time in 13 years without my daughter. She is almost 19 and is away at school. It felt very strange. All I can say to those with kids who ski with them is cherish the time you have with them.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Dave, it was a great time.

Sad seeing Hickory not spinning though, I really miss that place and want to rack up some more days there.