5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain, NY: 2/9/13

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 20: was even better than Day 19.   I ran into my friend Duck in the parking lot.  The wind was whipping and it was cold.

He and I boarded the first Gondola and ripped 4 inches of new snow on top of cord on Quicksilver. We were all alone on that first run.

On our second run we took the Adk Express to avoid the Gondi line. It was BRUTALLY cold at the top.

Duck on Twister

Then we zigged. Onto the North side.  No wind and fresh snow on low angle trails. It was the best snow I'd skied in a long time. We lapped the North Chair six times.  I don't think I've EVER done more than 3-4 runs in a row off that lift.

Real snow felt great at any speed

Snowboarders are cool

We finally pulled ourselves away and headed for Burnt Ridge.

Barkeater was the Run of the Day.

Twister Glades were fantastic too.

We found great skiing all day long.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain, NY: 2/9/13

x10003q
Great shots of the elusive Duck. The North quad was awesome early. I spent the day skiing with my 6 year old. Quote of the day: " No Daddy, you ski behind me."
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
harv, appears you experienced a great trifecta. no wonder you were stoked. although i enjoyed sat and sun , the knowledge that WF and northern VT got the goods left me feeling a bit empty. i let the hype of the forecasters get to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Don't feel bad, I skied Whiteface on Saturday, and they have less base than Gore, so actually Sunday at Gore was better than Sat at the face.  Plenty of glades in play at Gore, none adequately skiable at Face.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
harv, appears you experienced a great trifecta. no wonder you were stoked. although i enjoyed sat and sun , the knowledge that WF and norther VT got the goods left me feeling a bit empty. i let the hype of the forecasters get to me.
I did have a great weekend. I know I was supposed to be disappointed but I just wasn't. Part of it was that I never believed we'd get 20 inches at Gore.  

Eight inches at Gore goes a long way.  Our bedrock is smooth (vs say the Cats) and the mountain is really sheltered.

Great to hear that the mountain skied well today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp