classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain, NY: 3/19/11

x10003q
This post was updated on .
Today started with clouds and temps in the high 20s. We were indecisive about where to ski and ultimately chose Gore. In an effort to let the trails soften, we took the time for a great breakfast at Sara's.

Breakfast at Sarah's

It was flurrying and windy at the Saddle. Our first run was Showcase. The top was very firm but it softened as we headed back down to the Adirondack Express. We decided to head down to the Ski Bowl via the Sleeping Bear and Pipeline. It was a pretty easy ride and by the time we reached the first bridge the sun was starting to work the trails. We crossed the bridge onto Peaceful Valley and headed down to the Ski Bowl Base. After a short ride back up we skied Oak Ridge to Moxham and Oak Ridge to Peaceful Valley.

First stop Ski Bowl

This was my first time skiing the Bowl and I found myself thinking about skiers from past generations enjoying the same trails and views. I am so glad this area was reopened. The contours of the terrain seem to remain true to their original designers.

x10003q on Moxham

The great view of North Creek split by the fast running Hudson River.

View from Oak Ridge

Today's trail of choice was the groomed Sagamore. We took one more run about 10 more times. By mid-afternoon there were soft mushy bumps to be found up and down the trail.

Duck on Sagamore

Suds on Sagamore

Hickory in the distance

Duck on Echo

We headed back on Echo and closed out the day with the bump run in the Arena.

x10003q in the Arena
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain, NY: 3/19/11

Chris
gotta love the 'one more run' over and over. sometimes it just works
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Looks good. Pammy and I are headin up tomorrow. We should be there by the time the trails soften. Look for us at 11.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by x10003q
Ski Day 31: Xman it was great skiing with you and Duck and Suds.

It was especially cool to see your reaction to the interconnect, Ski Bowl and finally Burnt Ridge.  

Just to do all three of those for the first time, in one day, is something.

And the conditions improved to excellent on the lower 2/3 of the mountain by early afternoon.  

I agree the original ski bowl trails really are magic. The way they flow.

From our group, only Suds made a serious attempt to ski the trees today.

We worked our way all the way up from the ski bowl, to BRQ, the front, Uncas and eventually Lies.

IMO, access to the lower elevation terrain was the key to a FULL DAY of great conditions.  

It gave us a place to start in the morning.

Most people I talked to agree with each of you guys, Sagamore was the ROTD.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by x10003q
Excellent day to be sure.  And, the best was finally getting to meet some of you guys at the base.   Made my day!
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
My son and I decided that we would ski from top to bottom on Saturday.  We skied to Upper Steilhang and made our way to the Ski Bowl. Saturday was a great day to ski the Pipeline Trail.  It was so slick I hardly had to skate at all.  We got down to the Ski Bowl and took a couple of runs before we headed over to the BRQ.  I agree that the new terrain is a great addition to the mountain.  The place has an old school feel, the views of town and the Hudson are great, plus one cannot help but feel a deep sense of the past when skiing those narrow, winding trails.  Saturday was an awesome ski day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ski2moro ... great to meet you too!  Was quite a little happenin out on the deck towards the end of the day.

GSM ... we did the top to bottom thing a few weeks ago too. We had a great time and did the whole thing in about a half an hour with some lolly gagging. It's great.

We learned this weekend that DUCK bombed the whole thing and completed the run from Gore Summit to Hudson Chair base in...

NINE MINUTES and 56 SECONDS! Unreal.

Duck Rips!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp