classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn Jan 26 & 27

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Wow, shoulda skied today. I was up there when it started snowing, but there wasn't more than and inch or two in the forecast, but that would've been all it took to make good conditions great. I was totally beat from 2 very cold days skiing until the lifts closed, so it would've taken additional effort to get our camp cleaned up AND ski. Just getting out of bed this morning was a challenge.

Gorgonzola joined our group for a weekend of skiing and good times at Camp Dippikill.

A group of 32 skiers came up to Gore for a chilly but fantastic weekend of skiing. Some went xc skiing at Siamese Ponds and Botheration, finding good snow at both, but Botheration being far superior to Siamese Ponds which had extensive blowdown and snowshoe tracks to contend with.

Gore was very good. Snowmaking efforts in full force enhanced the skiing on Uncas, Topridge and Quicksilver. Rumor kept us challenged. Lies skied much better after it was groomed on Sunday. Pre-grooming it wasn't as enjoyable.

Woods were thin and dicy but skiable. Very satisfying weekend. Drove home to sleet and freezing rain, but enough snow cover for one last xc ski before it thaws.

Starting to think about a western ski trip.

I took no pix all weekend, but my friend managed a few.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn Jan 26 & 27

gorgonzola
...and good times they were! great skiing with a fun bunch of people - with a little late night hockey and some howlin' at the moon thrown for good measure

snow was good saturday, squeaky with some gun pow, edgable hard pack and technical woods lines. lack of wind made the temps bearable - i think we skiid from about 9-3:30 with a lunch break. nice variety of terrain at gore. was hoping to run into harvey but never happened.

sunday a few of us xc ski'd the botheration loop -  about 8 mi, nice cover- probably 9-12". the the pump track/woop-dees were a blast and the epochs & pins worked like a charm, even able to link a turn or two - way more stable than the skinny skis. i was working too hard to take any pix in the single track but did take a few obligatory scenics along the way.

oscar waiting for us

awesome bridge

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gorgo!  I didn't know it was your first time at Gore. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

And especially psyched that you got in my neighborhood...

The upper beaver swamp with the shoulder of Harvey Mountain in the distance:

gorgonzola wrote

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Nice neck of the woods ya got there Harv! I rolled down the window and snapped a pic of the Harvey road sign on the way out but it didn't come out so good
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Once again Dippikill (whats a Dippikill?) was fantastic thanks to PDQ! The skiing was great and the farmhouse crew had a blast. There was way to much food but we did our best to eat it all. A shout out to the farmhouse support group that kept the show going while we were out skiing most notably the turkey king Bubba. Gore was skiing great after our latest thaw and we even managed some tree skiing although the bottoms of my skis look pretty rough. Thats what stone grinders are for! A great time, can't wait untul next year! Also it was great to meet Gorgonzola, a great addition to the crew.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Rochester Mark wrote
Once again Dippikill (whats a Dippikill?) was fantastic thanks to PDQ! The skiing was great and the farmhouse crew had a blast. There was way to much food but we did our best to eat it all. A shout out to the farmhouse support group that kept the show going while we were out skiing most notably the turkey king Bubba. Gore was skiing great after our latest thaw and we even managed some tree skiing although the bottoms of my skis look pretty rough. Thats what stone grinders are for! A great time, can't wait untul next year! Also it was great to meet Gorgonzola, a great addition to the crew.
I didn't catch any rocks this weekend. Getting pretty good at missing them I guess.

Gorgonzola fit in quite well with our group. He's a really great skier and can play guitar!! We did a lot of singing Saturday night after the big feast. Gonna do it again in March.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Powderqueen wrote
Gorgonzola fit in quite well with our group. He's a really great skier and can play guitar!! We did a lot of singing Saturday night after the big feast.
I dig the synergy!

Hi Rochester Mark!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Powderqueen wrote

Gorgonzola fit in quite well with our group. He's a really great skier and can play guitar!!  

You can't have him----he's part of our crew
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
three chords and the truth...

haha not sure if those 3 chords counts as playing guitar but it sure was a hoot! i'll leave the guitar playing to charlie!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Harvey
Hey Harv, missed you this past weekend. I feel for you with Neve and the cold. When the kids are that age you have to keep it fun for them and Saturday and Sunday weren't what I'd call fun temps for kids. I quess us adults(haha) have a different idea of whats fun or are too stupid to realize it!