classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, Mar 22/23 2014

x10003q
This post was updated on .
I was able to plan a family and friends weekend at Gore. We stayed at a Top Ridge Townhouse in North Creek. It had plenty of space and was well decorated. You could see some Gore trails from the unit.

The weather predictions included temps in the teens and some wind and snow.

Dark Side Fun

There were tracks on this drop under the High Peaks double

It started snowing pretty hard and there were lots of fun pockets of fresh powder

Family and Friends

Hedges new entrance to Tahawus

The entrance to 1A from Twister was enlarged quite a bit. The conditions were excellent. The wind was blowing pretty hard and the temps never got above 20 up on the mountain. It was midwinter weather and conditions at the end of March.

The little ones love riding the Gondola

The uncrowded bottom of Showcase, a great location to let the skis run.

Sunday was also cold and windy with temps in the mid teens. There were blue skies so we could actually feel the March sun. Trails were packed powder

Saddle Lodge and the High Peaks

Powder Bumps on Powder Pass

Straight Brook Area

Cruising down Foxlair

Hickory in the distance

My nephew on Twister

We all had a great weekend at Gore. It was midwinter in March and conditions to match.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, Mar 22/23

poindexter
Looks like a great weekend. We own a unit a few doors down from where you stayed. Glad to see it's still standing. Unfortunately our season has been cut short by high school spring sports schedules, but I'm glad to see Gore in full swing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, Mar 22/23 2014

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
Awesome X.

(Are you sure that's not Bearpen in the distance?)

This is what I missed the most:

x10003q wrote
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Nice series of photos. Love Gore, wish they had like Spring special pricing though. Such a fantastic mountain.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, Mar 22/23

Danzilla
In reply to this post by poindexter
poindexter wrote
Looks like a great weekend. We own a unit a few doors down from where you stayed. Glad to see it's still standing. Unfortunately our season has been cut short by high school spring sports schedules, but I'm glad to see Gore in full swing.
Nice report X! It really did feel like a late January or early February weekend. Late afternoon Sunday it was bluebird and mostly deserted with full coverage from the summit down to the ski bowl. Too bad you guys aren't going to make it back up Poindexter! There is so much snow on the mountain. I felt like we had a great spring run last year, but this one is shaping up even better. Hoping we have some nice soft spring conditions this weekend.

Skiray - extra value season is in effect. Adult day tickets are $52.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by x10003q
Nice report -- we've been dying to get back up since being there two weeks ago.  Family obligations, school plays and business trips have killed the weekends from 3.22 through 4.6.  Maybe conditions will be good enough to take advantage of the girls' Easter break starting 4.12.  Worth it to rent a place and ski that week?  Opinions anyone?

Petronio

Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Petronio wrote
Nice report -- we've been dying to get back up since being there two weeks ago.  Family obligations, school plays and business trips have killed the weekends from 3.22 through 4.6.  Maybe conditions will be good enough to take advantage of the girls' Easter break starting 4.12.  Worth it to rent a place and ski that week?  Opinions anyone?

Petronio
Hey Petronio. Its hard to say at that point if Gore will be open during the week. I suspect they will be open Fridays through Sundays through the end of April but very likely they will start to close midweek at some point. With the early easter break this year they may decide to stay open that week. Really hard to say. You could call and ask but usually nobody on the mountain knows until the decision has been made. Whiteface generally doesn't do the midweek closing thing as far as I know. You might be able to do a combo trip or day trip up there for a few days if you want to make north creek your base of operations.

We have a place right in NC that is available to rent and is pretty reasonable. PM me and I can send you details if you are interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I was also at Gore and it was definitely mid-winter conditions.

We saw the kids drop those cliffs under the double.

Plenty of powder in the trees. Will try to post some pix later.

Rochester Mark got out there today. I would have gone with him if work didn't get in the way. I'm sure it was fantastic. Hopefully it won't get warm up there this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowJoe
I was there yesterday and today.  Yesterday the winds were blowing hard and they were running the gondola at half the normal speed and then closed it at 2:30.  Today was AMAZING!!!  No wind, perfect temperature and if felt like we had the mountain to ourselves!  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote

Petronio
Spring skiing this year should be great, and if not there is always the liquor store.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.