5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 1/9/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 12: Got a bit of a late start this morning as it was our daughter's first day in Gore's Mountain Adventure program.  I was in the singles line at 9am and got loaded into a Gondi cabin with EDeO, Russ, Chuck, Bobbie and Crew.  Karma baby!

On the ride up we discussed strategy.  I was a little skeptical about the top, based on yesterday's ski.  EDeO says to me ... "today is not yesterday." One thing I have learned > take EDeO's advice.

Uncas

We took Uncas down, and it was groomed and super carveable. Overnight the wind had loaded dense snow the right side.

EDeO hammers the wind deposited snow on Uncas skier's right

EDeO pushed us to hit Lies right away.  When we saw the telltale corduroy at the top, we hit it full speed.

Bobby SMOKES Lies

The entire length of Lies was in incredible shape. Carveable to a full ski width at least.

Lies Headwall

EDeO

Chuck

Headwalls on the Darkside weren't as soft as Lies or Hawkeye, which were both excellent.  I had to be back at the base a noon, so I peeled off down Hawkeye. Hawkeye was a continuous stretch of soft thigh-deep bumps.  Skier's left was especially fun.

When I made it to the Topridge Lift, Duck greeted me. Harv!  "Hang out.. here comes Suds!"

We rode the lift. Suds said he was taking a break but riding over Topridge, just looking at it ... we decided on one more run.

Duck on Topridge

Suds in Bumps

Very cool to finally meet Suds, to ski with EDeO and crew, and even got to make a few runs with JMP and Len.

I'm a happy boy tonight.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 1/9/11

Goreskimom
Today was great, cold but great.  Was anyone else surprised at the crowds on a Sunday between two holiday weekends?  I thought we would have the place to ourselves, but maybe the snow brought people out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
BTW Harve, I saw you enter the baselodge like a Dad-On-A-Mission!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I couldn't believe the difference in the crowds between Saturday and Sunday.  It felt like there were SOOO many more people there on Sunday.  Maybe it was the neverending gondola line since nobody wanted to ride the adk express.  

What a difference from one day to the next.  I loved them both, but so different IMO.  Saturday was near no wind (never happens) and powder over scratchy base.  Sunday was some of the best carvable snow I can remember on the mountain.  The usual victims of wind/ice surfaced in the afternoon but I had a blast both days.  

A good warmup weekend before my trip to utah this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Hey Harv,
Great to meet you but I wasn't done for the day...just needed the suds to make it through the afternoon.  Kept Duck out there on Topridge until 3!  That's a long day for those retired guys that ski every morning.  I can't walk and he was probably back up there this morning.

P.S.  There was nobody on Topridge and the sweet soft bumps were mostly ours all day
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back