10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 11/26/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I posted my TR on the blog, but here are all my pics from the day.

Ski day 2: I woke up without an alarm on maybe 6 hours of sleep.  

Nice morning. "Corduroy" wasn't really frozen, but it had "set-up"...

There was a way AROUND the Foxlair "headwall"...

But the direct approach was actually more fun. After it softened a bit:

The last 200 feet of vert on Foxlair is often some of the iciest at all of Gore mountain.  It was odd to be relishing the soft snow in that spot...

The dedicated and hardcore were there...

While there was a bunch of mud around, oddly I found today much easier skiing than my first day at Plattekill.  Didn't do any base damage.  Most of the mud was actually a mud/ice mixture that you could ski without damaging your boards.

Probably the most amazing thing to me was the fact that Neve skied for 4 hours without stopping today.  It was the first time she's skied more than an hour and a half in one day...

OK BOB is my new MAIN MAN.  He's the guy with the big smile at the Sunway Chair.  While lapping Jamboree as our lesson was ending, I dropped my tip for Erin, somewhere in the loading area. I actually was on a chair with Erin and when I reached for it, it was gone.  Bum-mer.

So the lesson ends, and I'm quietly cursing as I go BACK to my wallet for more cash. We say goodbye, Erin takes off and I start to load the Sunway chair again.  On a whim I said to Bob ... "this is probably a ridiculous question but did you find $40 bucks on the ground?"

Bob said: "What denomination?"  

Me: "Two twenties."

Bob The Sunway Guy

And he hands me the money,  This is all happening in the time it took to load the chair. (It moves slow but still, I'm transacting here!)  As we are pulling away I say to him: "You take half!"  I reached back and he took it.  That was so much fun.  I looked at the guy who shared the chair with me and we both said ... "Did that just happen?"

View from Foxlair, late day.

This bad boy sits sadly poised to blast his fan gun goodness right on the part of Sunway that needs it the most...

There was a whole stretch of Sunway, right above Quicksilver that was covered with nice surfaces...

End of the day.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 11/26/11

MC2 5678F589
Good seeing you up there, Harv. Any ski day is a good ski day.  Next weekend will be better, and the weekends after will be better than that.  I'm pretty psyched for this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
My trip report for Saturday is pretty close to yours, Harv.  The day kind of reminded me of this post from Matt, but in reverse:  skiers were smiling for the first runs of the year.  Being at the mountain for opening weekend is part of what it means to be a skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Bob rules...years ago we took a trip to Gore before we had our house.  We were on the mountain mid-week with two tiny boys.  We skied the Sunway Double extensively.  Bob would often help load the small boys and was soon on a first name basis with the kids.  Later in the week we walked into a local restaurant and Bob greeted the boys by their first names before we even realized he was there.  This was impressive as they were in full civilian gear and they looked quite different from their bundled/helmeted ski get-up.  It was a series of personal experiences like this very one that convinced us we should commit to a house in the community.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
  Being at the mountain for opening weekend is part of what it means to be a skier.
Take it easy Mr Skier. I do not have a season pass and live 3 hours away. For me and my family of "skiers" the funds are better spent later in the season.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Great TR Harv,

You pretty much summed up Poindexter and CMR's experience the day before.  Can't wait for temps to drop!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Anybody come back on Sunday?  Curious how conditions held up.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Kindergarteners have a very busy schedule in December ????

How busy can a Kindergartener really be to not take time to go skiing.  Playdates and whatnot can be scheduled the the other 7 months of the year skiing can not
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
Good seeing you up there, Harv. Any ski day is a good ski day.  Next weekend will be better, and the weekends after will be better than that.  I'm pretty psyched for this season.
Agreed. Great to ski with you too Matt.

Goreskimom wrote
Bob rules...years ago we took a trip to Gore before we had our house.  We were on the mountain mid-week with two tiny boys.  We skied the Sunway Double extensively.  Bob would often help load the small boys and was soon on a first name basis with the kids.  Later in the week we walked into a local restaurant and Bob greeted the boys by their first names before we even realized he was there.  This was impressive as they were in full civilian gear and they looked quite different from their bundled/helmeted ski get-up.  It was a series of personal experiences like this very one that convinced us we should commit to a house in the community.
This rings very true.  Bob is really helpful and does seem to REMEMBER everything.  The last line in your quote ... I got two PMs today from people who expressed precisely the same thought.

ausable skier wrote
Kindergarteners have a very busy schedule in December ???? Playdates and whatnot can be scheduled the the other 7 months of the year skiing can not...
I'm with you. I say CANCEL everything. The ballet recital, the christmas tree lighting, ALL OF IT! There's plenty of time for such tomfoolery in the summer.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

diamonddave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Love your report Harvey.  

My first trip to Gore was in 2008 I believe.  I had wanted to go there for my whole life and never got the chance til then for some reason.  I've been there every season since.

We stayed at the Inn at Gore and when we arrived in the bar on Friday night, we met Bob and a buddy of his...they were about the only people in there.  We told them we had never been to Gore and they were so enthusiastic, so excited for us.  We see him every year on the Sunway Chair and always remember that he gave us that great first intro on the eve of our first day!