12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 12/18/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Today was really really nice.  Got to the mountain as the grooming crew was putting the final touches on...

From the gondola on the ride up, things looked pretty good...

The cord was about as good as 100% manmade cord gets...

... coverage was good on everything that was open...

Steve_C on Pine Knot

Topridge has wild swales and whales all over it...

Pam on Topridge

Zach

The best skiing was on Topridge, but I had a tough time taking photos in the manmade blizzard...

Mattchuck2

Powder Run Doug

By late in the day, there were some tough icy spots to ski mixed with very nice, skiable bumps...

Moguls on Topridge

Dreams of the summit

I'm ready for my Christmas miracle now.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 12/18/11

miker92
Did all of Topridge have bumps like the ones in that second to last pic?
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Today it did, big softy whales!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I need to get to Gore this season..i want to go for some spring skiing though...just happen to have enough points for an overnight at the best western in Lake George :-) Guess if i'm going to ski Gore though, I should wait for more of the mountain to be open..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by miker92
miker92 wrote
Did all of Topridge have bumps like the ones in that second to last pic?
Obviously Shaman's info is newer and more relevant, but to answer the question ... yesterday the guns were running on the steep part of Topridge (maybe 1/2 the length, but most of the vert). If you stayed on skier's right you were pretty much in bump heaven all the way down.  Irregular bumps for sure (my favorite) and a few spots were sketchy, but definitely the best bumpin I've done this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
Nice. I need to get back there before they groom it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Harv were you on topridge about 12:30ish?  I think you skied by me. Someone who was on teles went by with a guy in an orange coat.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Love this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by miker92
Thanks Fuje.  

Raymo - that was probably me. The guy in the orange jacket would have been MattChuck.  Say hi next time.

miker92 wrote
Nice. I need to get back there before they groom it.
My experience with manmade bumps is that they are great when they are being blown.  The following day, when they let them "drain" before grooming they can be very stiff (depending somewhat on temps). After snowmaking is done I'd wait until it's groomed and rebumped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey44 wrote
The following day, when they let them "drain" before grooming
I have a dumb question for you Gore snowmaking PhDs -- "draining" the snow refers to letting the whales dry out. They're talking about evaporation, I assume. In our climate, how much can a pile dry out in one day?
Reply | Threaded
|

nvk497
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I have a dumb question for you Gore snowmaking PhDs -- "draining" the snow refers to letting the whales dry out. They're talking about evaporation, I assume. In our climate, how much can a pile dry out in one day?
Drain means exactly that, not evaporation.  You are correct that evaporation would not work in this climate.  This is only important when there is significant moisture content in the snow.  You'll also see ski areas close trails after a rain event in order to let them drain - same thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Harv you were on the other side of the trail. Kind of hard to yell above the guns blazing. You were about 4 chairs ahead of us on the lift. I thought I could catch you on the top but you guys move Fast.   Maybe next time.