classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 12/31/10

Harvey
Administrator
Ski Day 10: Spring skiing is a blast any time of year.

Spent the early morning, until 10:30, on the lower mountain, riding Sunway, Wild Air, and lesson lurking.

The lower mountain continued to have good skiing.

Then we went up top and the rope was down on Uncas....

...it was in incredible shape.  Ran into Russ, Perilous Paul and crew and we just bounded down.

Brand new snow and 38 degrees. We lapped it three times.

Lapping Uncas meant taking it past the Straightbrook cut off down to Lower Uncas.

Lower was virtually ignored most of the day and REALLY good....

After lunch I met up with Patrol and skied the afternoon away.

Kirby skis off the lift with his pole straps on, so pics were definitely out if I wanted to keep up....

At 3:15 the guys in red had to get back to the patrol shack, and start shutting things down.

I had a chance to pull out the camera after they departed.

Lies was definitely the pick of the day.  It was great from start to close.

Better than it had been all season, and comparable to some of those great days last March.....

... the headwall was totally carveable in spring conditions...

Probably my best day at Gore this year.

IMO the whole week was excellent.

Hats of to Gore for delivering a great ski vacation with minimal natural snow.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 12/31/10

sudsnbumps
I'll agree with most of that except I think Hullabaloo was the pick of the day...Lies was awesome and I have to apologize to Mike for giving him a hard time for grooming Hubba and Lower Darby.  Hubba bumped up nicely in the afternoon and I have never skied that headwall in such good shape.  Can't wait to get back and rip it (and Lies) before the...ahem...bowl games(r-word).  
I have to give a thumbs up to Topridge as late morning saw some big lines at Straightbrook so we decided to lap Topridge.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 12/31/10

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
sudsnbumps wrote
I'll agree with most of that except I think Hullabaloo was the pick of the day...Lies was awesome and I have to apologize to Mike for giving him a hard time for grooming Hubba and Lower Darby.  Hubba bumped up nicely in the afternoon and I have never skied that headwall in such good shape.
I was so surprised by the grooming when I dropped in to Hullabaloo, it threw me off my rhythm.  But as I rode back up I also thought it was the right move.  At the end of the day yesterday, the Hubba headwall required careful skiing and it seemed like many skiers were stopping there a long time.  While Lower Darby really didn't require it, it skied great and Zelda had some great runs over there.  I think the grooming opened up the mountain to more skiers. Maybe somebody who loves the funky bumps, wouldn't want that, but I understand Gore's position on grooming it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Harvey
Great day and nice report Harvey but my "pick of the day" has to be Topridge. The snow was great and the bumps, jumps and drop offs were rocking! Fast and furious, what a blast!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Rochester Mark wrote
Great day and nice report Harvey but my "pick of the day" has to be Topridge. The snow was great and the bumps, jumps and drop offs were rocking! Fast and furious, what a blast!
Hey Mark!

Every ... time .... I ... TRIED ... to get ... over ... to ... Topridge ... UNCAS sucked me in!

Sorry we missed you buddy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
There's always this weekend! See you then.