6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 2/6/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 20: 67 inches of snow in the last month, without a real thaw or NCP event, is starting to add up in the southern Adirondacks. Precip over the last 30 hours included 5 inches of snow yesterday afternoon, a half an inch of thunder sleet, and another 3 inches to finish the event.

The sleet, and the electrical storm, delayed lift openings.  The Gondola started running late, and the result was the longest line I have ever seen, or waited in, at Gore. Our first ride on the Gondola, led to the top of Bear, where no upper mountain lifts were running. After a few laps on the Sunway double, we faced the line and waited about 20 minutes...

By 10 am most of the lifts were running. Tree runs, that had been already tracked, had the best skiing. The submerged crusty layer, wasn't really a problem if you weren't the first one through.  Straightbrook trees opened first and offered some good skiing.

Straightbrook

Dark Side ultimately had the best coverage.  I was first in after patrol and had to take one for the team.  My plan was to head back to the more heavily trafficked Straightbrook side, but I ran into Patrolman Kirby and we stayed on the Dark Side to finish out the morning.

Dark Side

I'm one of those guys who thinks that until bases are ridiculously deep, all frozen precip is good.  Last night's event took some of the packed powder softness out of the groomers, but the trees will benefit from the extra depth. As always, it's time for some more snow.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 2/6/11

rfarren
I was told that there was frozen rain last night. Nonetheless, as the day went on things softened up beautifully, and the tress I thought were delicious. It was great meeting up with everybody this past weekend.  
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You're probably right ... there must have been some unfrozen component. Like a nut, I was out in the thunder storm checking it out, and it seemed like sleet, but I'm no expert. Nothing was glazed at our place, the gondi cabins were coated.

Sounds like you had a great weekend at Hickory and Gore. Sorry we couldn't ski together today - my short Sundays (end at noon) and the unusual lift lines made it tough.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by Harvey
I was there for the morning's lines.  I have never seen anything like it.  And all of the RUDE people!  Why were they taking out their frustrations on the poor lifties like it was their fault?  

It brings out the worst in the little impotent men.  You know the type - they are soft, they wear Descent or some other expensive brand, they buy expensive equipment, and can't ski anything harder than Showcase.  They talk loudly, almost always for the benefit of the people around them, often in front of their children, complaining and blaming and making their little empty threats.   Get over yourself, you little *&^%$#,  it's time for your Xanax.

Anyway...

Once we got up top, the lift lines were normal for Sunday, don't you think?  Around 12:30, one of our group had to go back to the base for an equipment change.  The lodge was practically empty.  There was never another lift line the rest of the day.  I guess everyone left early to watch the Super Bowl.  

I stayed on the groomers all day, as we had a lower intermediate skier with us.  I thought the snow was nice - soft and carvable.  There were some scraped off areas, but nothing widespread or irritating.

I had a great day at Gore.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

crust

Denis.N
In reply to this post by Harvey
I did not notice any hostility from skiers as I was standing in gondola singles line around 9:30. Looking at entrance to Cedars, hoping for it to open at any moment, I assumed icing problems with BR quad chair as well.

Not so, as I found out later, there was nothing wrong with BR chair, it's a crust on Sagamore and Echo was dangerous, so partollers spend few hours breaking it up. With rain becoming all snow around 9 pm Saturday night, you'd think Gore Mountain would groom crusty slopes, but I guess it was too easy of a solution. Let the ski patrol waste their time by breaking the crust. Same story on Uncas. I did not see Topridge open for same reason.

Grade F to lazy grooming team.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by ski2moro
ski2moro wrote
I was there for the morning's lines.  I have never seen anything like it.  And all of the RUDE people!  Why were they taking out their frustrations on the poor lifties like it was their fault?  
Sunday morning, I figured what's going on, waited in line 15 minutes, got up there and had a great day as well. Had one run on Moxham, b.t.w. awesome little trail. Should be labeled black, not blue.

Now, how about those skiers who don't usually ski Gore, got themselves day lift ticket and trying to have a good day for $72. They received NO COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER, about lifts running , trails open, nothing. You'd be pissed off as well.