Gore Mtn Snowmaking (10-11)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
86 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Snowmaking

Danzilla
There were a couple of Debbie Downers who lit up the Gore Mountain FB page this weekend ranting about the crappy base and lack of snowmaking, etc. etc.  Not sure how you could not have a good time this weekend, but whatever.  

One of the said Downers brought up an interesting scenario that I had not thought of before.  He said most areas will groom out the mountain in advance of a storm so that even when the fresh powder gets cut up later in the day there is still a corduroy base underneath.  He claimed that Gore always gives the groomers the night off when a storm is coming in and that you end up with an icey base under fresh.  Anyone know if that is true and/or have any knowledge around a groomed base underneath fresh?  I do have to say that there were spots on some trails on Saturday where I hit bottom and it was a little sketchy (and scratchy).  Seems like it might have been nice to hit corduroy instead.  Lots of experience out there.  Anyone have insight?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Gore:

"Flurries in the air.

Snowmakers finished with Hawkeye and Topridge.

Guns on Echo and Wild Air.

Open Pit is about done.

Guns on Rumor, Cloud and a few other spots around the mountain.

This weekend looks good, with some new snow this week."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
There were a couple of Debbie Downers who lit up the Gore Mountain FB page this weekend ranting about the crappy base and lack of snowmaking, etc. etc.  Not sure how you could not have a good time this weekend, but whatever.  

One of the said Downers brought up an interesting scenario that I had not thought of before.  He said most areas will groom out the mountain in advance of a storm so that even when the fresh powder gets cut up later in the day there is still a corduroy base underneath.  He claimed that Gore always gives the groomers the night off when a storm is coming in and that you end up with an icey base under fresh.  Anyone know if that is true and/or have any knowledge around a groomed base underneath fresh?  I do have to say that there were spots on some trails on Saturday where I hit bottom and it was a little sketchy (and scratchy).  Seems like it might have been nice to hit corduroy instead.  Lots of experience out there.  Anyone have insight?
Can you make corduroy out of something that is already ice?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Just tell them to go to Stratton...more Pow for us!  I would have to say that if there was corduroy under the powder this weekend you were skiing it because that light fluffy stuff just moves out of the way.  Friday there was a little new and you could tell there were some trails that had been groomed before it fell.  I'll say it again a different way...The Gore Snowmakers and Groomers do an awesome job with what they have and if you don't like it there are many mountains in the east that pack that fresh stuff as soon as it falls so you won't hurt your skis(Magic is not one)...that's what they make PTex for.  This was the best skiing of the season so far!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I agree completely.  I wouldn't have minded a bit if they had just left Showcase as is overnight.  It was the best riding of the year for me.  The trip to WF before Christmas is a close second.  That weekend I was riding powder with a grass and rock base so I have no problem with the ptex.  Pretty sweet that WF even had some of those trails open when other mountains probably would not have.  I was just curious as to whether Gore (or any mountain) grooms out in advance of a storm and whether or not it would make any difference at all - especially at the end of the day when the powder gets cutup and the base gets exposed.  Just curious is all.

Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Sure felt like corduroy under powder on Wild Air sat AM. And fresh was only about 6" there, so it seems right.