Gore/North Creek lodging question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore/North Creek lodging question

ts01
I have a friend (really) whose family is planning their once-a-year ski outing over President's weekend and is looking for slopeside lodging at a place with a good ski school and learner terrain, b/c the family members have mixed endurance and interest.  (She's ignored my sound advice to go ten times a year, any time other than President's weekend, which would solve a lot of the issues that drive the slopeside preference.)  

As far as the school and terrain issues go, Gore would be a great choice, and a reasonably convenient destination for travel purposes.  But I'm either negative or not so sure about the lodging / transport issues, based on  visits before the North Creek Ski Bowl and other expansions.  But I wasn't paying much attention, basically driving in for day trips.  

Maybe the expansions have changed things?  I thought part of the Ski Bowl expansion involved slopeside lodging plans, but that's not yet completed is it?  If not, are there shuttles that could get a bored kid off the slopes and back to a nearby condo or someplace in town?

I'm afraid I know the answers and they'll end up at someplace more crowded in VT.  But I'm planning to spend a day or two with them and would rather meet them at Gore.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore/North Creek lodging question

DackerDan
The couple of condos built at the ski bowl are hardly slope side, it is a pretty good shlep over to the lift. These are privately owned, I have been told the developer and his family bought them (the only way they could establish a price) and I have not heard of them renting out. The best you can do is rent a town home at the Summit town houses and take the bus back and forth. There are lots of rentals which are close but all require driving. Presidents week is a popular time but you can usually find something. If you need rental agent contacts please let me know, I know most of the folks up there.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by ts01
Your friend could also stay at one of the hotels in NC.  There is a free shuttle to Gore Mountain from the center of town.  That way, like at the Summit, those with limited endurance/interest could go home earlier without forcing the others to end their ski day early.  The Summit does generally have several townhouses for rent through their management company.  They could also try VRBO or Homeaway to find a unit directly.
Reply | Threaded
|

ts01
Thanks - I'll let her know about the shuttle options and cross my fingers.