Gore Ski Bowl, xc ski race, 1/19/2020

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Ski Bowl, xc ski race, 1/19/2020

Peter Minde
When Harv learned that I planned to flop in my car the night before HURT's 10 km race at Gore, he kindly invited me to stay in his pad. With all the snow, a normal 4 hour drive took 6.5 hours.  I'll admit I sweated it getting up Thirteenth Lake and Harvey Roads with front wheel drive, but we made it.  A big thank you to Harv, and it was cool to meet Scottski.

For the seniors and masters, it was 3 laps of a 3.3 km loop.

All the new snow made for a soft track at Gore.  Today, it was about good technique, if I'd tried to hammer it, I would have ended up flailing.  I herringboned the top of the A climb and the B climb, they were really tough today.  It was impressive to watch the youngsters hammering by me.

Photo of a junior skier coming off the A climb:

After the race, I wanted to get a photo of the mountains to the north, but I couldn't face going up the A climb again.  Here's the late morning sky.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Ski Bowl, xc ski race, 1/19/2020

campgottagopee
Nice Peter

Thanks for sharing this. One of my housemates in college was a xc racer, you guys are a special breed
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Nice report Peter.  

Tell us all, how did you do?

It was great to help you out. And spend some time together.  It was only a coincidence I saw your post as we were traveling, when you posted. Only the corest would look at a floor to sleep on as a major upgrade.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
I’m sure Peter did great. On the other hand there’s this...

But I believe that NYSB strives for a more supportive environment then some of the other organizations I’m involved with.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Nice report Peter.  

It was great to help you out. And spend some time together.  It was only a coincidence I saw your post as we were traveling, when you posted. Only the corest would look at a floor to sleep on as a major upgrade.
Harv, I find floors comfortable in general.  Good company is always appreciated.  I won my age group, but it wasn't easy.  Tough conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Congrats on the win!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Camp:  Thank you.  

@Brownski... you know, long after you've forgotten the race results, you still remember all the good times you had and the people you were with.  On then other hand, I do know someone with the outlook, "Never take a peashooter to a gunfight at the OK Corral."
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Way to get after it and congrats on the win. Headquarters is an awesome place to visit.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Peter : congratulations on the win.  Your persistence and dedication is an outstanding example for others .  XC is all about mental toughness and conditioning , hats off to you !

Warp
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
warp daddy wrote
Peter : congratulations on the win.  Your persistence and dedication is an outstanding example for others .  XC is all about mental toughness and conditioning , hats off to you !

Warp
Thank you, Warp.  Gore Nordic is probably the hardest place I've skied at... at least until the new trails at Mt van Hoevenberg are opened.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Impressive Peter!
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Nice Peter, I worked the classic race on Saturday but was committed to Garnet Hill on Sunday [ grooming]. Are you skiing the Hurt Mega on Saturday?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
BRLKED wrote
Nice Peter, I worked the classic race on Saturday but was committed to Garnet Hill on Sunday [ grooming]. Are you skiing the Hurt Mega on Saturday?
God willing I'll be at the Mega Relay.  Been feeling a little under the weather.