Gore- The mountain that gives you more...grease

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore- The mountain that gives you more...grease

adkskier
One day of warm weather and the Gore lifts are spraying grease on anyone stuck in the center seat on the Straightbrook or either seat on the High Peaks chair. I've skied many areas and never had to deal with grease removal as much as at Gore. Beware that with spring right around the corner, you should wear old clothing to ski at Gore. Gore pretty much ruined a brand new ski jacket this weekend when one of the lifts through a huge glob (not just a splatter) of black grease. The Goretex must now be dry cleaned and it will never be the same. A very expensive day of skiing.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore- The mountain that gives you more...grease

Sick Bird Rider
That sucks. I was always under the impression that Gore-Tex shouldn't be dry cleaned but WL Gore says it can be:

"Dry-cleaning does not harm the GORE-TEX® membrane. However, follow the manufacturer's care instructions on your particular garment to make sure they recommend dry cleaning for it. If you do go the professional dry-cleaning route, request clear, distilled solvent rinse and spray repellent."
source: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/customer-service/faq/4

Back in the late 80s when I was ski patrolling, one of our patrollers, who was a bit of a dude, showed up one spring day in white stretch pants (which did not meet the SP dress code, I might add). He also rocked a mullet and drove a red Fiero, for those of who remember that car. He was shocked to find grease stains on his pants at the end of the day. The hill manager was shocked when the guy presented him with the dry cleaning bill. Fiero dude was not invited back the next season.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Grease sucks but gore isn't alone in this. The MRG single was dripping today pretty good and I can still recall my favorite white hat getting ruined at a lift not at gore.

My solution is to leave the bogner onesie at home unless I am taking a trip to ze alps.

Sorry about your jacket.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
MRG may be the one Mountain with antiquated lifts. The problem is that this is a predictable problem at Gore even on newer lifts. I just failed to anticipate it this past weekend.
Wear your one-piece any holiday week along with your 200cm narrow skis and rear entry boots. We like the entertainment!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Hah! Where do you think greek peak's name originated!?!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good gawd....just wear camo
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
another reason to wear black
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-engine-oil-and-grease-stains/#CleaningEngineGreaseandOil  I like Shout or Resolve for hard to clean satins

And then soak and gentle wash and treat with this stuff http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=677&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

And now, back to our show!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by adkskier
 If you can get it, "Grime Eater" is absolutely amazing for getting grease out of ski clothing.  I got some in Canada at Canadian Tire on the recommendation of a Mt. Tremblant ski patroller friend.  It works great. I'm not sure you can get it in the US, but it's worth a trip across the border to get it.  
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
another reason to wear black
Agreed - that's what I get for trying to change things up a bit.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by ski2moro
ski2moro wrote
If you can get it, "Grime Eater" is absolutely amazing for getting grease out of ski clothing.  I got some in Canada at Canadian Tire on the recommendation of a Mt. Tremblant ski patroller friend.  It works great. I'm not sure you can get it in the US, but it's worth a trip across the border to get it.
Looks like they make several products. How is the stuff you used labeled? Getting some should not be a problem. Might as well add it to my arsenal.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-engine-oil-and-grease-stains/#CleaningEngineGreaseandOil  I like Shout or Resolve for hard to clean satins
And then soak and gentle wash and treat with this stuff http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=677&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

And now, back to our show!
now that we know how you clean your undies, what do you do with your ski wear?!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
I've skied many areas and never had to deal with grease removal as much as at Gore.
Clearly, you've never been to Greek Peak.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Many older chairlifts have the same problems on warmer days. Sunday at WF there were a few towers were dripping greasy black junk on the summit quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
That grease goes well on waffles!

There was a sign at the seven brothers lift at Loon the other day warning guests that there might be grease dripping.  It was a nice touch.