Gore This Sat or Sun....or Whiteface? (No Gore vs WF battles please, just opinions on conditions/crowds)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore This Sat or Sun....or Whiteface? (No Gore vs WF battles please, just opinions on conditions/crowds)

Snowhunter
Title says it all.

I have the opportunity to ski at Gore or Whiteface tomorrow or Sunday.  I want to get the best bang for my buck.  Just looking for some quality on-piste skiing.  Anyone have some feedback/in the know on expected conditions?  Also, I know it's President's Day weekend but which day are there likely to be smaller crowds?  I'm looking to ski from opening to mid-day (a little later if things are good).

Suggestions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore This Sat or Sun....or Whiteface? (No Gore vs WF battles please, just opinions on conditions/crowds)

freeheeln
because gore lacks advanced terrain and expert skiers the terrain may stay skiable longer into the day
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore This Sat or Sun....or Whiteface? (No Gore vs WF battles please, just opinions on conditions/crowds)

Snowhunter
128 post each!    (Or we were at least tied for a moment)

Thanks for the feedback.  What about the fact that the rookies, snowboarders, etc who will scrape everything down quickly?  (Not being a wise ass, just asking)
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Try both and report back
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
well wf must be the place to go . superior terrain, conditions  and skiers . why would anyone go anywhere else
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
because gore lacks advanced terrain and expert skiers the terrain may stay skiable longer into the day
You're the only person I've seen say this...just sayin'
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Decision was made for me by my own mistake and economics.  I was supposed to be in NYC this weekend so my skis were at Fall Line getting tuned up to be picked up on Monday (I had forgotten that when I originally posted).  Picked them up today but couldn't hit the mountain.  I'll be a Gore first thing tomorrow (I picked Gore because of gas prices).  I hear it was good today.  It's snowing here now (I'm just 25 miles south of the mountain) so I'm hoping they're getting what we're getting and more.  Thanks for the feedback.  Time to put another day in the books!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Well I can't speak for Whiteface but Gore was GREAT yesterday!  I'm happy that my ski mistake and choice to save money led me there as I had a ball sampling the whole mountain.  I'm heading up to Whiteface on Friday.  I hope that it survives this week's weather and the crowds.