if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore and WF crowds Jan 2-4?

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote

Whiteface can only really be enjoyed if you are an expert skier.
so you dont like wf either?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Matt

Are you no longer working at Gore?
No longer working at Gore. Doing Tele Dev team stuff and teaching my community college ski class.

Taking a sabbatical from Gore. Looking for a new mountain next year (but not aggressively looking). Probably not an ORDA mountain.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Good for you

Orda pay is so below market.  I made significantly more per hour at Killington in 2000 than I get from Whiteface in 2014 plus Vt state law requires show up pay for line ups
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Yes.

I never did it for the money. I just like teaching. But the requirements for the job increase, (and the stupid rules multiply) at a certain point, it's not even worth my time.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
snoloco wrote

Whiteface can only really be enjoyed if you are an expert skier.
so you dont like wf either?
Wrong, I do like Whiteface.  Read my blog post from last spring.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. I think we'll go with Whiteface for that weekend and hit Gore a couple times later in the season.

Snoloco - I bet your definition of an expert skier is way different from my definition of an expert.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
billyymc wrote

Snoloco - I bet your definition of an expert skier is way different from my definition of an expert.
apperently he feels he is an expert
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. I think we'll go with Whiteface for that weekend and hit Gore a couple times later in the season.

Good deal. As TJ said if you're looking for "stuff" to do after the lifts stop spinning WF is where it's at, LP totally rocks! Our crew always has a blast there --- enjoy
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Matt

Totally agree.  I'm not in it to make a living but I want sure where you are at there.

I enjoy teaching and the friendship with other instructors.  The rules are piling up and make it less fun to the point where it becomes a job.  I decided to coach a season long kids program again as that is fun and goes minimizes the bs and I get to ski and teach a lot more on harder terrain.

Enjoy your freedom
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by freeheeln
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
snoloco wrote
When you usually ski at Hunter and MC, you will feel an expert really quick.  I sometimes feel like a gaper at WF, but I am like the king of Mountain Creek north.
That should be your signature
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
snoloco wrote
When you usually ski at Hunter and MC, you will feel an expert really quick.  I sometimes feel like a gaper at WF, but I am like the king of Mountain Creek north.
Like I said, different perception of expert. I've been skiing longer than you've been alive - although I didn't really start until I was in my 20's. I ski about 30-40 days most years - "home" mountain is Greek Peak. I've skied many places in NY (including Gore and WF), Vermont, NH, PA, Maine, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah.

By some people's standards I might be an expert, by others I'm a hack. Doesn't really matter to me, so why try and put a label on it.

Several years ago when my two daughters were about 7 and 8 they first skied a run at Greek Peak called Olympian, which has a big sign at the entrance that says "Experts Only" and I think has two black diamonds on the sign. So they skied it and were happy because they thought they were experts. I let them think that, since they were 7 and 8.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
And there you have it. WF will separate the men from the boys every time
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
snoloco wrote
  I sometimes feel like a gaper at WF, but I am like the king of Mountain Creek north.
That should be your signature
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
snoloco wrote
I sometimes feel like a gaper at WF, but I am like the king of Mountain Creek north.
Quote of the year by a landslide
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I still think "feeling an expert real quick" should be part of it. Not that there's anything wrong with that
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
My son is looking at colleges....he told me one day that he would rather be the last guy to get into a school that was over his head than the "king of the idiots."   I think that attitude applies to skiing as well.  

As for skiing,   I ski at a mountain that I love,  and the people that ski there a lot ski it much better than I do.   Thats ok.  I dont "Gape."  I  enjoy their success, attempt to learn from them, and relish in the unofficial saying that my daughter's former Ski Instructor George S said, "ski fast, free pass."

The crowds at WF and Gore will be smaller than elsewhere...get up early...have fun and drive into town at 230....you will have a great time
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
My two cents on Gore...

Let's be realistic, this is a holiday weekend. Assuming conditions are fair or better, lodges and parking lots will be crowded. Avoid it by arriving early early.

There will be a decent size line at the Gondi much of the day.

If the mountain is fully or mostly open trails aren't likely to be too crowded even if there is a full house.

Every system has a limiting factor. One thing I love about Gore is that when the mountain is fully open the limiting factors are parking and lodge space, not trails or lifts really.  If skiing is your priority it's not a bad choice for holidays.
Harvey nailed it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble