Gore and WF crowds Jan 2-4?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore and WF crowds Jan 2-4?

billyymc
Considering taking the family to Gore or WF to ski the weekend after New Years - so ski Fri through Sun.

What should we expect for crowds / lift lines at either place those days?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore and WF crowds Jan 2-4?

Z
Really hard to say.  The holidays are stretched out this year so that may spread the crowds out.  I would guess this will be less busy than the Christmas weekend.

Best indicators are the hotels.  Call some of the bigger ones like the Crown Plaza and see how booked they are and what the rates are.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Those dates should be very enjoyable at Gore. Not mobbed.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
adkskier wrote
Those dates should be very enjoyable at Gore. Not mobbed.
Agreed.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Re: Gore,  during the week between Christmas and New Years', is most of the mountain typically open?  I know on regular weekday they don't open the entire mountain.

Thanks,
Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This year it looks like a lot of the mountain will be open.  Hopefully Burnt Ridge can open by 12/26.  That's really the parts of the mountain I care about.  Ski bowl is too disconnected and often has shoddy cover, so I don't go there much.  

If you know what you are doing, you can ski Gore with minimal lift lines.  Get there at 8 and start on the AE2 while the masses of humanity stand in an MC size line at the gondola.  When enough people who can ride an open chair show up, head over to Burnt Ridge or take Wood In to the High Peaks Chair and summit.  I like the trails on the north side, but I cannot stand that slow a$$ lift that serves them.  I usually try to minimize my use of that lift.  However, it is a vital link to the upper mountain from Burnt Ridge that allows you to avoid the overcrowded base area.  The short version is to avoid the base area and stay on the further out sections.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
Re: Gore,  during the week between Christmas and New Years', is most of the mountain typically open?  I know on regular weekday they don't open the entire mountain.

Thanks,
Petronio
They have been getting better at spinning lifts when the trails have snow, mid week. But for holiday weeks and weekends, if there is snow, the lifts will spin. I've seen the north quad run with only a single trail open during the holidays.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
If you know what you are doing, you can ski Gore with minimal lift lines.  Get there at 8 and start on the AE2 while the masses of humanity stand in an MC size line at the gondola.  When enough people who can ride an open chair show up, head over to Burnt Ridge or take Wood In to the High Peaks Chair and summit.  I like the trails on the north side, but I cannot stand that slow a$$ lift that serves them.  I usually try to minimize my use of that lift.  However, it is a vital link to the upper mountain from Burnt Ridge that allows you to avoid the overcrowded base area.  The short version is to avoid the base area and stay on the further out sections.
You are delusional.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Considering taking the family to Gore or WF to ski the weekend after New Years - so ski Fri through Sun.

What should we expect for crowds / lift lines at either place those days?
You should expect normal weekend crowds at WF. I'm sure Gore is skiing great too, but your family won't be disappointed if you go to WF.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by billyymc
My two cents on Gore...

Let's be realistic, this is a holiday weekend. Assuming conditions are fair or better, lodges and parking lots will be crowded. Avoid it by arriving early early.

There will be a decent size line at the Gondi much of the day.

If the mountain is fully or mostly open trails aren't likely to be too crowded even if there is a full house.

Every system has a limiting factor. One thing I love about Gore is that when the mountain is fully open the limiting factors are parking and lodge space, not trails or lifts really.  If skiing is your priority it's not a bad choice for holidays.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If you plan on skiing from opening bell to close I think either are a fine choice, your going to bed after.  If you have intermediates or looking for things to do after skiing Lake Placid has a ton more options.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
My two cents on Gore...

Let's be realistic, this is a holiday weekend.
No its not. The holiday period is over 1/1/15. I'm sure there will be some people taking the 2nd off and skiing through the weekend, and WF only pass holders are back on the 2nd, but the masses who where here for the holidays will be putting them behind and heading home. So no one coming to WF should be afraid of overly large crowds. The skiing continues to be great with big terrain open for this time of year.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Take holiday out of my statement, I stick by it for any weekend.

Still think that weekend will be busier than your average weekend after the holidays.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
I've skied Gore the day after new years for the last 4 years.  It it is always busier, but never busy.  It could be different this year because of the way the days lined up.  The biggest thing you will feel is the impact of the midweekers and blackout passes coming off of no skiing for a week... we ALL show up on this day and demand "out hill" back.  Really, the only thing different about that day is all the college kids around... not used to that.  Otherwise, go for it.  A packed day at Gore is a light day at most hills.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
If you plan on skiing from opening bell to close I think either are a fine choice, your going to bed after.  If you have intermediates or looking for things to do after skiing Lake Placid has a ton more options.
I agree

HPD is right as well I don't think it will be full on holiday crowds.  Probably like a regular weekend but that can vary.  If there is a race it will be busier and if a hockey tourney in Placid it will be less crowded since that soakes up the bed base.

The skiing is going to be good based on our start.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
If you have intermediate skiers you should stick to Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
x10003q wrote
tjf1967 wrote
If you have intermediate skiers you should stick to Gore.
100% Correct.  Many of Whiteface's blue trails such as Excelsior, Paron's Run, Wilmington Trail, or Victoria would be rated black or even double black anywhere else.  Boreen would be rated blue anywhere else.  It is basically that and Valley which are both overcrowded runouts that you'd be stuck on as an intermediate.  Whiteface can only really be enjoyed if you are an expert skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Or a beginner. Where else can rookies find 3 chairlifts just for newbs ?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Killington has two beginner lifts Ramshead and Snowshed (well Ramshead is more low intermediate)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
I have the Gore "Non Holiday" Pass and that weekend isn't listed as a holiday. So there might be more people there, just because their passes will work.