Gore and Whiteface snowmaking start?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore and Whiteface snowmaking start?

xWeatherMan
The long range forecast starting in about a week looks really promising for an extended period of below normal temperatures below freezing days and nights at the mountains. Wondering if the mountains will be taking advantage of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore and Whiteface snowmaking start?

evergreen
The winter season looks very optimistic based on Northern Hemisphere snow cover, in fact this could be a once in a generation winter if this plays out: http://www.upstatesnow.com/rich-lupias-weather/news-story/winter-forecast-2014-15-long/.  One of the most reliable quick links, that I look at every day, is the 6-10 and 8-14 day temperature trend predictions from NOAA, which are on Harvey's weather page.  These look very promising.  So, yes I believe that the following will happen:  1. 4-6 inches of snow in the higher elevations on Friday  2. A cold week ahead with snowmaking beginning next week at Gore and Whiteface.  3.  A repeat of last year with an opening of Gore the weekend before Thanksgiving because that holiday is very late this year and they are handing out the Adirondack express chairs on the 22nd and why would they do that if they weren't planning to be open.  So I'm planning on skiing at Killington on Saturday, followed by two weekends of skiing at Gore this month and an excursion to the Whiteface toll road as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by xWeatherMan
xWeatherMan wrote
Wondering if the mountains will be taking advantage of it.
From what I heard this evening, yes.  I'll see what else I can find out.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNY1606

Evenings in the twenties....days in the low thirties in Wilmington....As long as we don't have any silly inversion, I would think that the guns can start to lay down PA's favorite white stuff from the top of little Whiteface down...
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter has the guns set up, so I would think that WF and Gore are more prepared as thew will get the temperatures sooner.  I would say that if they can start soon that both will open the week before Thanksgiving.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mike is thinking maybe Wednesday. Aaron asked me to check with him tomorrow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This might be blasphemy around here, BUT am I the only one who doesn't get all that fired up about late Nov. / early Dec. skiing?

The hardpack/scratch/ice doesn't really do it for me. Don't get me wrong, it's better than not skiing. I guess I would rather they extended the season further into April.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
This might be blasphemy around here, BUT am I the only one who doesn't get all that fired up about late Nov. / early Dec. skiing?

Nope!

Won't even need my skis until mid Dec, then it's game on.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
This might be blasphemy around here, BUT am I the only one who doesn't get all that fired up about late Nov. / early Dec. skiing? ...
...Don't get me wrong, it's better than not skiing.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Better than not skiing (and great every once in a while with early season storms).

I'd rather be early season skiing than doing just about anything else with my weekends. Late November/Early December sucks anyway (short days, dreary weather, rampant consumerism making these suburbs completely annoying to navigate, etc.). I'm psyched that I get to do one thing that I enjoy.

Yes, it's not the greatest skiing in the world, but I miss the feelings associated with skiing the most. Sliding on snow, carving turns, getting air... Sometimes you just need to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Not that it's the only factor, but stoke level for early season turns may be somewhat dependent on people's situations.......those who live the lifestyles versus those who have to travel the miles?

For those who live or work in or close to the 'Dacks or other mountain areas or work at a mountain in some capacity, getting back on snow means a return to a way of life they've missed for 6 months and will live for the next 6.  That's something to be excited about.

For a downstate semi-urbanite like me, there's a month left of outdoor soccer to be had, along with other pursuits that are more attractive than limited turns on marginal terrain that could be skied on a weekend if I were willing to drive the 4 to 7 hours round trip and spend money on gas and hotels.  The bang for the buck isn't there.  So we generally don't get up to the mountains until well into December.  Yes, it would be nice to make some turns earlier, but we save the time and money for when other activities have ended and conditions are better.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
This might be blasphemy around here
I bet most would agree
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
 Don't get me wrong, it's better than not skiing.
No it's not
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
When you haven't been on the snow since April, you are desperate to get back on the slopes.  In the spring the excitement drops and for many people my age, spring sports are starting.  Early season, those who don't do winter sports are already done with fall sports, so there is no conflict there.  That is one reason why there is more business early season than late season.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by skimore
I love fall mtb until it gets below 30'ish degrees, so i'll just choose whichever trail conditions are better through mid December. I usually log my miles (yea yea kinda ghey, whatever) and am trying to hit a milestone before the end of the season but I'm not bothering this year as I am way off goal -  couldn't get the bike commute going and no beach vacation. I always try to end the mtb season with a "cali" day ski and ride
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
There is a different vibe with early season turns that you don't get mid December on-ward, so yes the skiing might not be the best but a bad day skiing is certainly better than a good day doing most other things this time of year. I used to love the early season truck rides up to the lift at Killington as you were surrounded by die hard skiers pumped to back in the mountains. Also early season turns are along the lines of the same reason I keep going to see the latest Warren Miller, its a part of the early season ritual, and its a part of what makes skiing and the skiing culture great.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Lets compare potential late fall activities:

Not Skiing- shopping for Christmas with your wife
               - putting up decorations around the house
               -watching putrid football (Giants Fan here)
               -raking leaves after the teenagers dont
                -work, because its raining out in NJ

Skiing-   Fun outdoors
             early season turns to get rid of the rust (and not just on your skis)
              cold PBR's or Dales on the deck
             early to bed because your muscles are sore from skiing after not skiing
             Wings at Lisa G's
             grilling

I vote for skiing....November to late April...and maybe a day or two at A-Basin in May
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Grillman wrote
Lets compare potential late fall activities:

Not Skiing- shopping for Christmas with your wife
               - putting up decorations around the house
               -watching putrid football (Giants Fan here)
               -raking leaves after the teenagers dont
                -work, because its raining out in NJ

You forgot the most important one!!!

Deer season...everyday is a POW (pun intended) day. No matter what the weather conditions you have a chance at a slob. I don't care if it snows 4 feet cause I'll be in the woods!! Ya'll have fun on your WROD
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
MC is WROD all season.

Great. Have fun and let us NEVER SPEAK OF THIS AGAIN.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
The above posts make me so happy to not live in NJ