Gore lift problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore lift problems

MC2 5678F589
Here at Killington, the Bear quad went down yesterday and the Glades triple went down today.

I think these things tend to happen more early in the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Well this thread got rather side-tracked. Lift maintenance issues aside, the topic of lift opening time is a fair question. Delayed lift opening, generally, has two causes; 1- issues on the trails may slow ski patrol from completing safety checks and 2- weather conditions may delay lift opening. Both of these are issues that can easily be anticipated and resolved by planning ahead and bringing staff in earlier. Late openings are not unique in the industry, but Gore seems to open late more often thn other areas too. While it would translate into increased labor costs, changing the reporting time for lift ops and ski patrol to 30-45 minutes earlier would result in more timely opening.
When you build a gondola without a workable place to store the cabins overnight, you need to anticipate issues following freezing rain. (Might be less expensive to fix the storage issue than pay the added labor!) likewise, after a big snow dumping, it's going to take longer to prep the lift loading and unloading areas. Again this is an issue thn can be anticipated and schedules should be adjusted to compensate.

Power issues are a recurring problem on the summit. Most of the power problems have been failures in the electrical infrastructure owned and maintained by...Gore, not the local utility.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Wash, rinse, repeat, those silver cubes ain't spinning again today.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
WF gondola down for unscheduled maintenance today.
I've lived in New York my entire life.