Gore on Sunday..

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore on Sunday..

Saratogahalfday
The Post Star published a story yesterday about the crush of people who tried to go to Gore.  The term "turned away" was used.  Was it simply a case of people not being able to park within 5 miles of the mountain?  Traffic was backed up to Wevertown?

I heard Gore offered a kids ski free day on Sunday, and also hosted a large high school race in the snow bowl.  Maybe the brain trust there should consider offering free skiing on a non-holiday weekend, instead of arguably the busiest day on the ski calendar, traditionally?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore on Sunday..

Peter Minde
"I was there and I'm here to say / I was driving that model A."

Indeed there was a nordic race at the snow bowl on Sunday, it was a NYSSRA Nordic / junior national qualifier.  Good turnout but by no means huge.  Lots of alpine skiers / boarders came in because they couldn't get to the main mountain on Sunday.

A few years ago there was a high school sectional race there with like 500 kids plus coaches, parents, siblings. That was outta control.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
I believe I read that the kid ski free promotion started yesterday.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
I didn't hear anything about a kids ski free Sunday....maybe someone knows for sure

Sunday was definitely mobbed. When I asked on Monday about the Sunday crowd the number I heard was "6800 people---not quite a record, but close". Cars parked WAY down the access road--all the way to Lot H--which incidentally looked pretty well packed. I don't recall seeing Lot H in heavy use in prior years.

I too heard stories of the line backed up to Stewarts, which probably also meant some traffic through Wevertown light.

I chalked most of it up to holiday weekend and the first appreciable weekend snowfall in a while. Too many folks figured they'd hop in their car @ Saratoga at 8am and assume all would be fine. Have to get there early folks!

Just a high level of skier rage overall. Our whole regular crew bailed about 2p once we'd had enough of the Jersey Turnpike action lower mountain.

And there was stuff getting skied Sunday that had no business getting skied. I'm guilty and my bases paid the price.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Siawol,

The  "Kids Ski Free Week" @ Gore started Tuesday 1/21/20 and did not affect the traffic tsunami that occurred this past weekend.  That said, the "perfect storm" of fresh snow, over-hyped weather-forecasting, a major regional Nordic Race @ the Ski Bowl and the annual Gaper Gala that is MLK weekend all combined for Times Square Traffic, right here in North Crick!

Ski you on the Hill.

46ER
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
They also had fireworks and a torch light parade that evening as well.  The Tannery was packed until 7 PM