classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore or Whiteface Saturday?

Face4Me
mattchuck2 wrote
I think we've lost when we have to quantify how good our day was by saying one particular trail was good.

What's next? The lower part of mountain run, skier's right, between poles 4 and 5 were the best two turns in my life!

The thing about great ski days is that they're pretty great no matter where you go. It's not that I can't have fun on one trail with a few guns, but I get pretty bored lapping the same trail over and over.
I'm not exactly sure what the first part of the above means, so I'll just leave it alone.

As for the second part, regarding lapping the same trail over and over, for me, if it's good ... it's good ... it doesn't matter how many times I do it.

Staying away from some other analogies , every time I drink an Ubu, it's good ... doesn't matter if it's the first time or the 100th time ... it's still good!

When I was younger, I probably wasn't quite as "mellow", but as I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate the good moments, no matter how brief, when they come. A bad day on the mountain is still better than a good day at work!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Face4Me wrote
Staying away from some other analogies , every time I drink an Ubu, it's good ... doesn't matter if it's the first time or the 100th time ... it's still good!
If I drank Ubu all day, every Saturday and Sunday and Holiday, then I drank Ubu for 3 hours every Tuesday and Thursday night, I'd start to get a little sick of all the Ubu, and I'd start to look around for something else to drink.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
mattchuck2 wrote
Face4Me wrote
If I drank Ubu all day, every Saturday and Sunday and Holiday, then I drank Ubu for 3 hours every Tuesday and Thursday night, I'd start to get a little sick of all the Ubu, and I'd start to look around for something else to drink.
I sure hope you're not married!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Face4Me wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Face4Me wrote
I sure hope you're not married!!!
BAM!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
nobody really cares
I disagree
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
What's Ubu?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Noah John wrote
nobody really cares
I disagree
Really?  If people actually cared then Tug Hill would be a skier's mecca instead of just a meteorological oddity.  Dumping all that Fake Effect on a cow pasture makes for neat pictures of cars spinning their wheels but at the end of the day - it's just a silly parlor trick.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
Harvey wrote
Noah John wrote
nobody really cares
I disagree
Really?  If people actually cared then Tug Hill would be a skier's mecca instead of just a meteorological oddity.  Dumping all that Fake Effect on a cow pasture makes for neat pictures of cars spinning their wheels but at the end of the day - it's just a silly parlor trick.
1000's of snowmobilers, several snowmobile dealers, and some bar/resturant owners would disagree with you
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Every time a Chipmunk farts Whiteface puts the Gondola and Summit Quad on wind hold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKBTsLK2sg

<nabble_embed>8ZKBTsLK2sg</nabble_embed>
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I get that Camper.  But most skier's don't care.  And this is a ski forum.  And Harvey's a skier - not a snowmobiler.  Harvey "cares" because he likes people posting on his forum.  He made $8.94 last month from Google ads.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
I get that Camper.  But most skier's don't care.  And this is a ski forum.  And Harvey's a skier - not a snowmobiler.  Harvey "cares" because he likes people posting on his forum.  He made $8.94 last month from Google ads.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Noah John wrote
what are you trying to say?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Noah John wrote
Maybe "most" is accurate but you said "nobody."  It only takes one to disprove nobody.  Let's discount me because of the huge fortune I am amassing via ad revenue.  There are others who have gone to some effort to get to the Tug driving past mountains with superior terrain.

Vibe aside, IMO it all comes down to snow, terrain and maybe convenience.  Everybody's got some kind of formula to balance those things. On January 5 I was staying in North Creek and skied Hickory instead of Gore. I chose limited terrain and thin cover on natural snow, versus more vert and terrain at Gore. Some of the skiers from Central NY drive past Greek or Song to get to Snow Ridge too.

When you ski in the backcountry you are making a similar choice.  You may only get 2000 feet of vert in a day, but those who do it, do it in part, for untracked snow.

If Snow Ridge was in Saratoga or Kingston NY it would be doing business like Mount Peter or Tuxedo Ridge.  There are people who value snow quality vs terrain and IMO what keeps Snow Ridge sleepy is it's location.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This post was updated on .
Yeah, I really took an unbelievable license when I wrote "nobody" rather than the more technically accurate "vanishingly small number of skiers".  
You seem a little sensitive.  What ad is on your screen today?  Preparation H?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Not sensitive, just expressing a different POV. Some people prioritize snow over vert.

If I lived in Syracuse or Albany I'd ski Snow Ridge.  I'd ski it from here if I was single.

BTW If this game was all about ad revenue I'd do all my posts about Hunter and Holiday Valley.

Miss your avatar Noah!  twas awesome
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In psychology, the false-consensus effect or false-consensus bias is a cognitive bias whereby a person tends to overestimate how many people agree with him or her. There is a tendency for people to assume that their own opinions, beliefs, preferences, values and habits are "normal" and that others also think the same way that they do.

cough cough
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Harvey
  It could just be me, but after skiing fresh powder on a tiny little hill in North Central NY, I find myself more relaxed, less bitter and vindictive. I did find your description amusing, even if you did get the county wrong. Viva la zanja!

Don't be hating on little old Snow Ridge, snow will come to WF eventually, you'll even be able to ski it, if you've got AT gear.

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I'm not "hating on Snow Ridge"; I'm needling skimore.  Oddly he remains mostly silent while the rest of you slowly twist your panties into a bunch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Snow Ridge is on my list this year. It's gonna be a sick day. I wouldn't go there for a weekend. I wanna ski it for the same reason I want to go to bohemia in Michigan. POW.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Danzilla wrote
Snow Ridge is on my list this year. It's gonna be a sick day. I wouldn't go there for a weekend. I wanna ski it for the same reason I want to go to bohemia in Michigan. POW.
Iffin there's POW I'll be hitting it the last week in Feb fer sure. Noah's gonna meet me there too