Gore this upcoming weekend

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore this upcoming weekend

JasonWx
I don't get not using the skis because they have a core shot..ski those bad boys and worry about the base in summer...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I agree with Jason.  What are the chances you pop the same spot on your base?

Gore has ALL lifts spinning today. How often does that happen on a non-holiday Friday?  Never.  Hope some of you suckas are getting the goods today.

Some recommendations on food in North Creek -

My top 5

1. Bar Vino - great tapas and micro brews.  No TVs.  Good wine by glass or bottle.  Mussels, fries, and flank steak are all standards.  Pretty reasonable for what you get.

2. Laura's - Dining room upstairs.  wide variety of menu items for 20 bucks or less.  Pork chop is my fav.  Ubu and other good draft selections.  Bar downstairs is the locals favorite.  Pool table and golden tee. Usually have music after 9pm on weekends.

3. Trappers in the Copperfield inn.  Good selection of sandwiches.  Chili is also very good.  Decent draft selection.  Sometimes have music on weekends.

4. Restaurant at Black Mountain.  It isn't in North Creek, but I love this place.  If it was in NC it would be near the top of my list.  Great burgers, open faced turkey sandwich, meatloaf sandwich and chili.  Entrees are a little expensive but also very good.  Good atmosphere.  Get there early if you have a group as they get busy.  Open for dinner only at 5pm.

5. Basil and Wicks - Used to be Casey's north on rt28 across from Stewarts.  Just reopened with a bar menu before 5pm and full menu after.  We have only been there once but the food was very good and the menu looks great.  They had a one man band on a Sunday afternoon.

Good luck and have a great time.  Grab a beer apres at Trappers in the base lodge too.  They usually have music in there starting around 2pm on the weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
At Laura's, the burgers are great and the pasta in pesto sauce with shrimp, scallops and/or chicken (get the shrimp) is to die for.  The Wild Game Pot Pie at Basil & Wicks is incredible.  If you like authentic NYC style pizza (thin crust you can fold in half) by the slice, check out Pete's ahh across the street from barVino.

Oh, and the bar in the base lodge is The Tannery.  Their food is quite good as well.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Ski the mantra's with the core shot (who knows you might get another, there are rocks at Hickory).  then if you are going to ski Gore on Sunday hit Gear Source in N. Creek Satruday night for an overnight repair and tune.  Tell Jeff at the Gear Source that Kirby sent you.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by rfarren
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Inn on Gore Mountain also has good food in North Creek and is generally a bit less crowded.

In Warrensburg, Burnettos is outstanding but you'll likely have to wait if you arrive after 5:00 PM. George Henry's has decent food and a bar. There is also a B&B with good food that I tried recently, but I cant recall the name. It's visible from Rt 9, but not right on the highway. I'd avoid Marco Polo's.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm super amped about the trip tomorrow morning!!!! I would've stayed in North Creek, but the prices were quite a bit higher there. I've decided to ski the mantras, and take them to the gear source tomorrow afterwards. I'll get dinner in North Creek. I'm only one so it's probably best if I eat at a place with a bar. I'll most likely eat an early dinner, and then head back to warrensburg and chill out in the hotel room. I think Gore is expecting some snow Saturday night, so it'll be early to bed early to wake, pick up the Mantras early and hit gore early and often.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Rob - how did you make out?

I always try to recommend places in NC.  We have a house in town that we rent out and love being close to everything when we go up.  The only motel I personally know and would recommend for a "cheap" motel room in the area is Black Mountain.  I know there are some other places around that are reasonable - Valhaus, Inn on Gore, the Northwind, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

The copperfield and the alpine are both usually $150 a night or more in my experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I have stayed at the Alpine.  It is brand new, super close to everything and it has a common room that you can use to eat, play games, etc.