Gore this upcoming weekend

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore this upcoming weekend

rfarren
So, based on the fact that this last storm was all snow at Gore and basically not so much in the catskills I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend. Originally, I had planned on only skiing one day, Saturday, but the road conditions are going to be brutal with another storm heading into the metro/southern NY area. Plus, if I'm headed up there I really don't want to do it just for one day. So, I'm contemplating heading up there for 2 days. To make it work for me I need to find a cheap place to stay (some local insight would be great.)

Hopefully, I can meet up with my internet friends on the mountain so I don't have to ski alone. My father will be in Lake Placid for some speedskating thingamajigger, and my wife has to stay in the city for work. If anyone wants to meet up let me know.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore this upcoming weekend

JasonWx
i always stay in lake george..prices range from 75-100per night..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Black Mountain Lodge.  They have clean (if not quite up to date) rooms for around 80-90 a night.  Less than 5 miles from the mountain.  They also have a very good bar/restaurant that is open in the evenings.

Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
I thought about lake george but the drive worries me because of the storm due saturday. I'll check out the black mountain lodge.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I've never stayed at the Black Mountain, but I've eaten there. It was good basic food at a good price.  And it is very close to Gore. The website isn't much but it will get you in touch with the right people.

Saturday mornings I have Neve's lesson to deal with and I ski with Zelda until maybe 1:30.  We could try to connect Sat PM.  I'm also running loose Sunday am from 8:15 to noon.  There are certain others on this board who a lot know more about Gore's trees than I do, but I'd give ya what I got.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
I'm not sure how deep the snow will be by then, so I'm not sure I'll bring my Mantras for the trees. Also, I have a core shot in the base and they need a tune.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Super 8 in Warrensburg is suppose to have great rates too.  Then you could ski Hickory on Saturday.  Weekend only operations mean Saturday will be a powder day.  We skied all the powder up at Gore yesterday, so there is none left anyway..............
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
In reply to this post by K man
I'm definitely staying at the Super 8 in Warrensburg. The cost and location were right. I've never skied Hickory... that sounds fun.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Is there a good place in Warrensburg where I can have an overnight tune done quickly? I have a core shot so it would need to be a full tune up.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
One more thing, although I'm staying in Warrensburg I'm thinking about eating in North Creek. Would you guys recommend getting food there or are there places that are good in Warrensburg.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by rfarren
rfarren wrote
I'm definitely staying at the Super 8 in Warrensburg
watch out for bed bugs. they would love to take a trip back to your house
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ski Hickory! 
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
rfarren wrote
One more thing, although I'm staying in Warrensburg I'm thinking about eating in North Creek. Would you guys recommend getting food there or are there places that are good in Warrensburg.
I've never been there, but a good friend of mine who is a chef in Manhattan and comes to Saratoga every summer highly recommended Brunetto's.  When you get off Exit 23, make a left at the light at Route 9 and its a short distance south on 9 on the right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Good food there I'm told, but the menu is pricey.

Like Kirby said, Hickory's closed midweek so Saturday will be the first tracks on the new snow. Plus it's suppose to snow at least a few inches starting Saturday am....maybe more.

Hickory is saying all trails open and all lifts running this weekend. Over a foot of new snow. The Woods will be virgin. Skiers who love Steep, Natural, Mad River Glen type skiing......THIS IS YOUR WEEKEND @ HICKORY!!!! The place is famous for that type of skiing. Some claim it's better than MRG!!!

http://www.hickoryskicenter.com/index.php/home

Harv, any chance of you contacting Hickory and seeing if they'll show people where the woods trails or prefered glades are? I don't think they're on the map. Sure would help spread the Hickory Magnetism if some people were introduced to a great day of glades at Hickory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I just called them, no answer. Harv, do you have a contact name for up there? I'll try to call em and see if I can get an answer tomorrow.

Some on here used to ski Hickory or are familiar with it's terrain/glades. Any advice for Hickory trails or glades? MC2?

Just trying to help the MTN and people out. Would be way cool, Epic? , if some good skiers went there and ripped it royally, had a fantastic time and then spread the word via Harvey Road.

Not me, I don't ski trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Harv, any chance of you contacting Hickory and seeing if they'll show people where the woods trails or prefered glades are? I don't think they're on the map. Sure would help spread the Hickory Magnetism if some people were introduced to a great day of glades at Hickory.
C'mon dude....you're going a little overboard. Take a look at the trail map.It's a pretty condensed place. A couple of runs and anyone looking for trees will figure it out
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Some on here used to ski Hickory or are familiar with it's terrain/glades. Any advice for Hickory trails or glades? MC2?

Just trying to help the MTN and people out. Would be way cool, Epic? , if some good skiers went there and ripped it royally, had a fantastic time and then spread the word via Harvey Road.

Not me, I don't ski trees.
Based on what I saw last weekend at Hickory, it should be great this weekend with the new snow they received.  

SB... finding tree shots on- or off-the-map is a piece of cake.  Just ask my 6-yr-old: he found just about everything that he & I skied on Sunday and it was his first time there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by skimore
Just askin skimore. They may have woods they prefer people didn't go in. Ever hear of courtesy? It's a very steep hill and there maybe cliffs. Savy?
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
I'm definitely skiing Hickory on Saturday. The only issue will be that my Mantras have a core shot and I'm really worried about skiing with them Saturday. I'm not in love with trees when I ski with my Nordicas. They are heavy and don't love to turn in tight trees with powder. I suppose I could ski one day with them and bring them into the shop that night, but I'm worried about that.

BTW the new gfs and Nam has almost all the precipitation down south, with barely any getting to the dacks.
Rob