Gore this weekend

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore this weekend

TomCat
I was planning to make the trip from NJ (4.5 hours) this weekend, but I'm reconsidering. It's tough to justify the time and gas if conditions are going to suck. Any local knowledge on how heavy the r%^$ was (is) or what can be expected to be open for Sat/Sun would be appreciated. It's hard to imagine that the darkside, north quad or sagamore will make it although they could all be closed today due to the weather. Thanks.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore this weekend

Harvey
Administrator
I think Gore had 2 inches at the base last night before the change over.  Maybe Shaman can give the straight scoop.

I wish mountains had the flexibility to close on certain days. Grooming wet snow, or in the rain, really hurts the base, turning it harder than it would be if it was left alone.  Actually I think Laszlo made the call to close today.  One advantage he has - he's the boss, and answers to no one. And his regulars support his decisions 100%.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I'm 25 miles from the mountain and it poured for a long time last night.  My yard is flooded with a few inches of water on top of the snow and ice.  To say the conditions here are miserable would be an understatement.  I can't speak for the actual conditions at Gore but it can't be very good.  I worked in North Creek for two years and the weather there was rarely very different from here, maybe a few degrees colder and on occasion there was snow when we got rain but anytime we've had an event like last night things were usually the same there.  As close a I am and as bad as I wanted to ski today I'm not even bothering taking a drive over there.  I just can't imagine it being worth the trip.  I have to go there on Sunday (kids lessons) and I'm hoping things are better by then.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by TomCat
We are staying home this weekend. Our drive from Long Island is 4.5 hours also, and if there ever was a weekend to stay home, this looks like it.  We have been pretty fortunate with the conditions at Gore so far, but I can't imagine that this weekend will be stellar.  I'm just glad that we were able to experience some great runs on Sagamore before this mess hit the mountain.  Hopefully next week will be cold enough to fix things up a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Well as of 12:30 it is 36 degrees and it's pouring again.  How much of this can the mountain take???
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I spoke with some groomers this morning in town, and they were unable to do anything until around 6am, and the rains were a deluge just like everywhere else. But they mentioned that just like at shaman hq, the 2" of snow we got last night had a crust on it which was allowing much of the rain to run off, and they heavy nature of the snow itself allows it to absorb a lot of water.
I have a net gain, so Gore should be ok as well. As for this weekend, it will be below freezing the next few nights, so they will be out in force with grooming. Get there early or hope for sun...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Thanks for the info. Probably not a bad as feared, but I'll wait till next weekend.

Enjoy - at least the hill should be pretty empty.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I sent the following message to gore today:

It would be very helpful for potential visitors if additional info on conditions/operations were available on the website. E.g this week the straight brook quad was closed. Info on the expected reopening would be very helpful. Also with the two weather events this week, some advanced info on probably conditions would be very helpful. E.g Sagamore, pete gay and sleeping bear closed Friday so it can be groomed and open for the weekend. Lies and high peaks area not expected for Saturday. Obviously such info will not be 100% accurate, but it helps those of us that have to travel make a better informed decision.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
They're union. Call the rep.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
TomCat wrote
I sent the following message to gore today:

It would be very helpful for potential visitors if additional info on conditions/operations were available on the website.
This has been one of the biggest complaints about Gore on this forum, the semi-abandoned ADK forum, and from just about every other single person who skis Gore. The phone report is done shortly after the lifts close and the web site doesn't seem to be any more current. Even the paper trail reports posted in the morning at the mountain seem to have the odor of BS.

If you can get Gore to change their ways, you would be eligible for a gold medal, sainthood, free beers for life, and a hotter model wife than Tom Brady's.  

GO GIANTS!!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Let me add that this forum is a much better source for the actual conditions than the Gore web site/phone line.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Which is why I made my inquiry on this forum.

Now, regarding Brady's wife, I'm concerned about your ability to deliver.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I can provide a gold medal, but otherwise I'm calling for everyone on the forum to chip in what they can