Got my snow tires for my Subaru Forester!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Got my snow tires for my Subaru Forester!

greif
Went the first year with the  stock tires which were surprisingly good in the snow. A little late in the season I just got Michelin XC-ice tires and now need a bunch of snow to play in! On  dryish roads they are not much different in driving than the stock tires. I chose based on Consumer Reports ratings of ice stopping and snow grip (lots of tires about the same), but the Michelins have a 40,000 mile warranty- unusual for snow tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Got my snow tires for my Subaru Forester!

billyymc
Greif - you'll love the Forester with snows on it, but don't get overconfident before you have a chance to feel out how it performs in snow. It's not hard to get the Forester to break loose if you stomp the gas around a turn, even with snow tires.

We have an 06 Forester that I have always put snows on in the winter. Started with Hakkapeliitta Q's and recently got a new set of Hankook's. My wife just picked up a new 2015 Forester a few weeks ago - ordered Hakka R's on wheels from discount tire direct. Both cars are great in the snow, but everything has limitations - just gotta learn what they are with the snows on.

Also, you don't want to wear your snow tires down as much as your summer tires - i.e.- when the tread is halfway gone you'll want to start thinking about replacing them. 3/4 gone - definitely replace.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about getting snow tires on wheels, I found Discount Tire Direct to be the best pricing by far. Free shipping from them, as opposed to TireRack which charges for shipping. We got the set of Hakka R's cheaper than we could get no-name tires locally. Arrived in less than a week. If you aren't getting wheels it becomes a wash after paying a local installer to mount them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Snow tires.  Gotta love 'em.  They help you go, but they won't help you stop.  I just changed cars (like 2 days ago), so I'm on 3 season tires for now.  Gotta get me another set of Nokians.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Peter Minde wrote
Snow tires.  Gotta love 'em.  They help you go, but they won't help you stop.  I just changed cars (like 2 days ago), so I'm on 3 season tires for now.  Gotta get me another set of Nokians.
They WILL help you stop. Coming home from Gore on Monday. Snowed all day so there was snow on 28N. Dumb-ass doe ran right out in front of my car and I slammed on the brakes. With all-seasons instead of snows I would have slid right into that deer hard. Those tires paid for themselves right then and there.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

CPTele
Another often-forgotten point about winter tires...  the tread compound used to make them stays pliable at low temperatures. Summer tires and even all-seasons get hard(er) in the cold and thus don't stop or handle as well, even on dry pavement.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
I just bought the new Ice Guard Yokohama's they are excellent.   They are a new design. At 100 per tire I think they give nokians a run for the money
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
good grief.  Hey I went to JC penny's and got a couple new pairs of socks and some dress shirts.  AWSOME.  Oh I did it on my balding all season tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Was waiting for you to see yet ANOTHER  snow tire thread------priceless 
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
good grief.  Hey I went to JC penny's and got a couple new pairs of socks and some dress shirts.  AWSOME.  Oh I did it on my balding all season tires.
I think you mean blouses.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
No your mom has enough of those.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
There is nothing like a good snow tire thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Agree! They are some of the most entertaining threads on all of the intraWebz
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
My old Subaru Legacy finally bit the dust at 232,000 miles, and I replaced it 3 weeks ago with a used Outback.  The car drives well but it has 3-season tires on it that are about halfway through their useful life.  First time I've driven in winter without snow tires in maybe 20 years.  I've been impressed by the car's grip with what I consider substandard tires in the recent bad weather.  Still gonna buy Nokians for next winter:  I like a belt and suspenders.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
Peter Minde wrote
They WILL help you stop. Coming home from Gore on Monday. Snowed all day so there was snow on 28N. Dumb-ass doe ran right out in front of my car and I slammed on the brakes. With all-seasons instead of snows I would have slid right into that deer hard. Those tires paid for themselves right then and there.

Yes. Braking is almost radically improved. But, don't let that make you too sure of yourself. It's still slippery out there.
funny like a clown