Governor Cuomo and Infrastructure

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Governor Cuomo and Infrastructure

snoloco
I'm a civil engineering student and I've been very pleased with Cuomo's recent focus on infrastructure, with him starting and/or finishing, and proposing many such projects in NY in recent years.  Some examples are the Belleayre gondola, new Tappan Zee Bridge, 2nd Ave Subway, and a new Penn Station.

A question came up in the Belleayre gondola thread as to who can take credit for these kinds of projects.  Some take so long to build that they span over multiple administrations.  Here's my opinions for the new TZB and 2nd Ave Subway.

The new TZB was a pie in the sky for decades, and construction started and will finish under Cuomo, so IMO he can take full credit for getting it done.  The bridge has provisions for a rail line to be added that would run in between the two spans.  The new bridge has a much shallower grade than the old one for this very reason.  Problem is that while there's rail right on the Westchester side, there isn't any right on the Rockland side, so that would need to be added before there could be a line across the bridge.  I have a lengthy and detailed plan for a rail line that could use the bridge, but it isn't really necessary to share on a ski forum.

The 2nd Ave Subway restarted construction in 2007 under Spitzer (who resigned in disgrace in 2008).  Cuomo can't take credit for starting it, but he did finally make them stop pushing the opening date back and allocated funds to speed up construction and get it done.  Fun fact:  I was on the first northbound train that served the new stations.  Just like all the first chairs I've had at ski resort opening days (I think I've had 3).
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Governor Cuomo and Infrastructure

Harvey
Administrator
Thank you snoloco for moving this discussion to the OT.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by snoloco
My daughter is geotech engineer...she is starting on new water tunnel for NYC...

The TZ was going to be built with or without Cuomo..It was going to collapse...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I was a Hydroceramic Engineer during my days in VT
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Really, you made dildos?  Wierd.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by snoloco
The old Tappan Zee was costing about $100 Million a year in maintenance costs. It had to be replaced. You're right about the option for a future rail line in the center. Good idea on the State's part.

I will say that it isn't just the big, flashy projects that constitute "infrastructure", it's the hundreds of bridge jobs, culvert jobs, paving jobs, water pipe jobs, natural gas line jobs, storm recovery jobs, and snow removal jobs that the DOT does every year. A Federal infrastructure bill would still be very welcome. Lots of "shovel ready" projects that still need funding.

If you're interested in this stuff, sno, the DOT looks for college interns all the time:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/jobs/internships

(Although it looks like Cuomo is futzing with that program, too).