classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Grand Targhee, WY 12/15/10

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
My previous three visits to Wyoming over the past eight years all took place at the end of January, because that seems to be a great weather sweet spot for this region. But this fall, with all the long-range forecasts for the coming winter going on about La Nina, and how it would "almost certainly" give much of the west a huge early season snowfall, I rolled the dice and booked a flight here for mid-December.

The Wxers turned out to be right on target; by the time I arrived on Sunday, Jackson Hole had received 171 inches year-to-date, the most in its history. Unfortunately, a rogue warm front was moving through the area (part of La Nina's volatile nature?), and this is what I got during my first three days.

But whenever I go to Grand Targhee, powder days have a way of showing up, so after a dramatic trip over the Teton Pass late Tuesday afternoon in a two-wheel-drive rental with onion skins for tires (my CNY lake-effect driving skillz were key), I got what I came for.

Accompanied by local knowledge courtesy of the Bret and Brett team from the gorgeous Teton Springs Lodge, where I'm staying, we headed off to Grand Targhee yesterday morning, which was reporting 12 inches of fresh snow. Here I'm driving past ast the iconic Spud Drive-In:

The Grand Targhee Cloud hovering above:

Heading toward the main lift:

The goods were good/under the Dreamcatcher lift:

A couple shots of Bret on our first run:

After 2.5 days skiing Jackson Hole's steep hardpack, it took me a couple runs to transition back into powder mode. Bret correctly counseled me to demo wider planks, so I grabbed some Volkl Gotamas, which were a huge improvement from my 95-waist Chubbs. Here's a short clip of my final run -- even with the very gentle angle, you can see that at 2:30 pm my early-season legs were toast. The Goats make a foot of powder look like three inches.

The big news is that I'm booked for my first-ever cat skiing later today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Grand Targhee, WY 12/15/10

JasonWx
it almost looks like you're skiing hard pack...nice!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy the cat
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Great post. I had a chance to ski Grand Targhee last January while I was visiting Jackson Hole. The conditions at JHMR were so bad that we rolled the dice and headed over the pass into Idaho and around to Grand Targhee. The conditions were noticeably better there (though still not great the day I was there). I came away with a nice appreciation for the resort. I don't think I'd book an entire vacation there, but it was a neat place to visit and I think it's definitely worth taking the Targhee Express (bus) over from JHMR for a day. The price, including the bus, is the same as a JHMR lift ticket.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Looks like some righteous conditions Jamesdeluxe.  Must be some good karma going on. When did you book the trip?  Funny thing about Teton Springs Lodge. A few weeks ago, some friends mentioned that they were planning to go there.

I like the sour cream on top of the potato too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Excellent trip report, James. Glad to see someone is "gettin' some." I can imagine the excitement you had driving over Teton Pass in a rental car, in the winter. I've driven over it in late October and it was plenty interesting then! Nice views though...

Funny you mention the "Grand Targhee Cloud." I just spent two days at Jay enjoying the full effect of the "Jay Cloud." Unfortunately this time the famous cloud was producing more wind than snow and the skiing was, shall we say, a little crusty.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
James...great lookin TR and pics.  You do have the best luck.  

Is there anything better than a serious lack of competition combined with awesome conditions?

For the starving masses, please post some pics from cat skiing!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Wow James...you struck gold! Great time to be out there.

I planned my ski trip late this year because the weather said it would be a cold and snowy winter for us here early. It is cold and it is snowy in places, but not where we ski.

Can't wait to hear your cat skiing report.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Haven't had a chance to go through all my stills, but long story short, it was incredible. 11 runs of 2,000 verts. Wondering if I'll go into a depression today reverting back to lift-served. If you're ever in the Jackson area, the GT cat skiing is a must do. I'm kicking myself for not trying it on earlier trips.

Unfortunately, the only vid I have was shot on the flattest run of the day.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I understand how in the excitement of cat skiing, and not wanting to hold up the group, you don't take many pix.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
James, working on a full trip report I hope?...
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Coming soon to a browser in your area. [Dead link removed]
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'll take your word on it... Access Denied.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Adk Jeff wrote
 I'll take your word on it... Access Denied.
Apologies for the dead link in my previous post.

Our offshore tech team is hard at work to resolve this issue.