Greek Peak 3/2/13

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak 3/2/13

Powderqueen
Greek Peak was in fine condition. Got together with SnowMonkey, Pammy and 4 other ladies for a nice day on the slopes.

2" of fluff on top of a firm base.

Non-groomed skiing i.e. Zeus, Arethusa, glades, Odyssey were challenging due to the set up cement/dust on crust/crunchy/bumpy/rutty surfaces. All groomed trails skied beautifully. Hercules was superb. Right side of Fields was like the other non-groomed.  For the first time all season, I opted for the groomers and enjoyed the cruising with the gals.

Woke up to another 2" of fluff. GP reported 1". I was tempted to go back out there, but decided to earn my turns today and do some backcountry touring on my new Fischer Boundless.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak 3/2/13

gorgonzola
 greek ski'd great on sunday as well. mrs snobunski and i headed up early sunday morning for a day trip.tried to get a room at the lodge saturday night but no room at the inn, good for them!  everyone must have stayed in the waterpark though and with the dippikiller gals in the woods and a18 gang at wf, the place was empty  light snows all day kept the surface nice and fresh. the mrs usually prefers to stick to cruising the groomers but the great conditions all over the mountain had her calling for multiple laps on hercules, the woods, and elysian bumps  finished with de-booting beverages at orions and an excellent elk burger at the lodge to wrap up a great ski date!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen

Lovely...I was torn, but after skiing there Saturday with the gals, staying closer to home with 4" of new fluff in the State Forest with a fine posse of friends seemed more inviting than riding the lifts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Skied Greek after work Saturday with Big D, I was pleasantly surprised at how good conditions were. The 4"-6" of wet snow they received Wednesday had stuck to everything like glue before hardening up. This allowed base safe skiing on very minimal coverage. It did make for a bumpy ride occasionally, and some interesting results from catching an edge. Everything skied great, for the most part, Zeus was a little bit of a rough ride, with firm smallish bumps. Hercules skied the best it has in years, wait it hasn't been open in years, still, some of the most enjoyable turns I've ever had there, other than after a dump, or when Spring corn covers the headwall. Even the lower skier's right at the bottom of Mars was skiable, though there was just a couple inches of compacted snow there, you could ski it as aggressively as you liked with no fear of scrapping it down to dirt.

Twice throughout the afternoon I caught an edge in the bumps, both times the ski I caught edge with violently was thrown up off the snow leaving me skiing on one ski for a second or two. Thankfully I was able to recover both times, if I hadn't it would  have been a painful experience crashing on the "firm" snow, I'm sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Powderqueen wrote

Lovely...I was torn, but after skiing there Saturday with the gals, staying closer to home with 4" of new fluff in the State Forest with a fine posse of friends seemed more inviting than riding the lifts.
How are your Fischer Boundless skis?  I love my Alpina Lite Terrain BC XC setup!!