classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak Jan 1, 2, 3

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Skied on New Years because there wasn't much else to do. The skiing was fast and cold on man-made snow with some help from the lakes. Pammy and I also took the dogs out to the state forest that is behind Greek Peak. The lake effect snow decorated the forest.

The storm started up Weds night. It snowed lightly but steadily throughout the night. Greek Peak reported only 2" Thursday morning, but it sure looked like it was going to continue throughout the day. I decided to call in to work for a "snow day" which my boss gave me without issue since I worked throughout the holidays.

Another inch or so had fallen before we got out there, and another 2" fell while we were skiing. It was very nice skiing and we were able to ski in the woods. Olympian was being poached by many and ski patrol barked but did not bite. They just didn't want anyone to ski near the snowmaking on Odyssey and warned us appropriately.

The new Labrynth glade is pretty sweet

We got first tracks in Labrynth and Aesop's. I got first tracks on Olympian before Pam showed up.

I think I was in the presence of Campgottagopee. I said to him "Camp?" and he did not respond. I don't know if he didn't hear me, or perhaps it wasn't him. You don't wanna say "Campgottagopee" to a stranger. Maybe if he reads this he can confirm seeing Pam and myself (I was in black with green helmet) in Aesop's, first run with ski patrol.

We then went back to poach Olympian

The skiing was excellent all day. AcidChrist was waiting for it to pile up. I told him it isn't really getting better, it is just good skiing and he should get his butt out there. We passed on the road around 3pm.

Friday morning they reported 10" of snow in the last 24 hours and the temperature was -2 degrees. Debated for only a moment whether I should go to work or go to Greek Peak for the morning. Greek Peak won.

While it was better skiing on Thursday, Greek Peak did a fine job of laying corduroy on all the trails. They left some powder scraps on Iliad and half of Fields, which skied nicely. But the real story is beyond the trails.

The glades skied beautifully, even better than Thursday. Zeus was open and ungroomed. It was windblown, and skied a little thick but was still fun. Labrynth warranted a number of laps. Chair 2 wasn't running but we made it over to Aesop's and skied some other tree shots that were pretty sweet. After one last poach of Olympian, I was cold enough to call it a morning.

chair 5 opens tomorrow. There is some untracked snow over there. I may not make it out there, as I have some backcountry ski plans with friends. I'm sure Camp, D and Cornhead will get at it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Jan 1, 2, 3

gorgonzola
NIce report! I need to get my ass up there! Was thinking about tommorrow but not happening due to kids flight logistics
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I'll be there on Sat. Cornhead is skiing at Plattekill the whole weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If it was yesterday, PDQ, I thought I may have seen you on the crossover getting to Ronnies. I just zipped past 2 chick rippers on the flat just before the start of RR. I noticed a gaggle of peeps at the start of RR so I banked a hard lleft into the pines just before the official opening. There was a ski patroler on the bottom road who I skied up to and said howdy, then Pro came down and we took off. There was no way I could've heard you say anything as my tunes were cranked ----- you know, no friends on a powder day  ---- up until the last 4 laps on RR I was flying solo
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Powderqueen wrote
  Olympian was being poached by many and ski patrol barked but did not bite.
We're lucky to have the cool SP that we do
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
If it was yesterday, PDQ, I thought I may have seen you on the crossover getting to Ronnies. I just zipped past 2 chick rippers on the flat just before the start of RR. I noticed a gaggle of peeps at the start of RR so I banked a hard lleft into the pines just before the official opening. There was a ski patroler on the bottom road who I skied up to and said howdy, then Pro came down and we took off. There was no way I could've heard you say anything as my tunes were cranked ----- you know, no friends on a powder day  ---- up until the last 4 laps on RR I was flying solo
yep...that was us (the chick rippers ;-)) and that was you who dropped into Ronnie's (aka Aesop's) in front of me

ski patrol said something to you about the area outside of the blazes not being clear. I know that area is usually pretty good, but you got in there first. There was plenty of fresh snow to be had in there.

I took today off from GP to enjoy the backcountry where we stayed out of the breezes and in the fresh powder. Was a really nice day. Tomorrow I'll go back to GP for a few laps. I probably will park at Chair 5 and will have my dogs with me. I will take them to Kennedy Forest for some xc afterwards.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  I can't wait to check out Labyrinth, did you ski it when it was not officially a glade? Did they remove many trees, or just clean it up? You think asking someone if they are Campgottagopee is weird, how about Acid Christ. I was hanging with a bartender on the stoop outside Orion's when AC walked below. I said to him, "Excuse me, didn't I see your picture on the internet? Are you Acid Christ?" He just shielded his face with his hand feigning embarrassment. Maybe he really was embarrassed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll keep a look out fer ya PDQ, plan is to be in chair 5 woods with hopes of leftover POW
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
The skiing was great today, but the woods have taken a beating The best skiing was on the natural snow on the trails, such as Zeus, Fields right sides, Chair 5 skier's right down Mars to Arethusa. Glades were nice, but had needed great care in places.

Natural snow was "hero snow" all day today. I felt like a rock star.

I skied until the clouds came in.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep, woods are played. Only took one lap thru RR to figure that one out. Went back to truck to change skis then it was cruzer time. GP skied excellent yesterday. Glad I got 4 days in last week b/c  me thinks it's done for a while ---- we're back to needing more snow.