classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Mountain Summit

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote

Sounds like your headed down the right trail and we look forward to enjoying the ride with ya. Couldn't make the summit but the only thing I would have commented on that I didn't see addressed above is bringing mountain biking, both lift served and xc, to the peak. Any news? I haven't heard anything since the grant letter went out to assume that didn't work out?

Yo, G ---- check it out.

http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2015-01-08/20623/Norwich-Rotary-hosts-area-recreation-industry-leaders/

"According to Meier and Stemerman, fabrication of mountain bike hooks that will be incorporated on the resort's chair lifts were recently complete and will be in use by summer or 2015.

Along with the additions to the facility, the company also recently applied for and received a economic development grant which will allow the Greek Peak to invest even more into the growing facility. Plans for a new stone and timber deck punctuated with propane fire pits overlooking Gridley Creek will be "the largest structure of it's kind in Cortland County,” Stemerman said."
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Stone, timbers, fire and a bar...sounds really good to me!!! (Mostly the bar part, but it would be really cool)
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I hope the deck is a hit and brings in some good revenue so that further investments can be made in snowmaking. Camelback has 100% of their terrain open today. Blue has all but two trails open, and Shawnee has all but one trail open. GP has about 40% of their terrain open.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by jjbrady
jjbrady wrote
Stone, timbers, fire and a bar...sounds really good to me!!! (Mostly the bar part, but it would be really cool)
I like your style jj
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
I hope the deck is a hit and brings in some good revenue so that further investments can be made in snowmaking. Camelback has 100% of their terrain open today. Blue has all but two trails open, and Shawnee has all but one trail open. GP has about 40% of their terrain open.
100% agree....i hope they start printing money at GP

40% that is open is gonna ski sweet too......sure beats 0% open, you know, if they went BK

baby steps, baby steps
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Well I see Greek finally opened more trails!! We'll let me be the first to say its about time. It's just hard to take when everyone else with in 60 mile radius has been kicking their asses. Now I know we have a few Greek Peak lovers who think they can do no wrong,but you have to call a spade a spade. I am also a Greek Peek lover but it's just getting old year after year. I just hope they don't cut back on night skiing terrain like they did last year,or I am out of there with a few others.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right, the other local areas closed over Xmas due to the rain, and Greek was open. If that's getting their ass kicked, kick away
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
  It's just hard to take when everyone else with in 60 mile radius has been kicking their asses.
I'm not sure what areas you are spouting off about.

Song - 7 Trails
Lab - 8 Trails
Toggenburg - 8 Trails

Are there some other areas within 60 miles that you are referring to?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I know, Camp. I tend to be impatient.

The partners did establish high expectations with their vision, "to make it the best ski/snowboard resort in New York State and beyond."  

That is going to take some serious money to achieve, as well as a brilliant marketing department. Let's hope they achieve their goal. From a selfish standpoint, doing so will help my real estate value increase. Although, it won't do much for my Cascade Club membership.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
  From a selfish standpoint, doing so will help my real estate value increase.
Mine too, bro

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
scrundy wrote
  It's just hard to take when everyone else with in 60 mile radius has been kicking their asses.
I'm not sure what areas you are spouting off about.

Song - 7 Trails
Lab - 8 Trails
Toggenburg - 8 Trails

Are there some other areas within 60 miles that you are referring to?
Yeah...that's what I thought
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know funny, and that shit right there ^^^^^ is funny!
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Alright alright 60 miles is wrong. In my opinion Greek don't compete with Song or Lab. They should be competing the likes of the boys in the Catskills, they do have a lodge to fill. I don't think to many people lodge there from Broome or Cortland County. Greek should not see them selfs as a local hill but as a destination. When ever I plan to ski out of state I chase terrain open,how about you? Fill the trails with snow and they will fill the lodge. Now you can say they had Mother Nature working against them but so have the big dogs. They need to run with the big dogs,and if they do,they need to learn to get off the front porch. Sorry man
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
scrundy wrote
  When ever I plan to ski out of state I chase terrain open,how about you?
I chase chicks man --- it's all about the babes
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
Scrudy, They fill rooms at HLL by giving them away through Groupon. No marketing or sales expertise is necessary.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Based on the return of investment I've gotten on my room at HLL, I definitely wouldn't say "giving it away"....
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by scrundy
Yeah you should probably take your $400 and go somewhere else.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
JJ, you definitely bought at the right time. The FDIC, and subsequent owners, were very interested in liquidating the remaining timeshares, as the new owners did not incur any of the construction costs, and could generate some fast revenue.

Maintaining value of the prior timeshare owners was not a consideration of the new owners, either. The individuals that purchased prior to the liquidation probably don't feel as positive as you do.

JJ, imagine what your returns would be if they truly focused on marketing in-house rather than relying on Groupon, their hefty commissions, and the lack of loyalty Groupon customers have. Management is definitely heading in the right direction by going after the wedding sector. Hopefully that will pick up even greater than the dozen weddings they had this past year, which is a fantastic start.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by jjbrady
jjbrady wrote
Based on the return of investment I've gotten on my room at HLL, I definitely wouldn't say "giving it away"....
Good for you JJ!!! I know a dude who bought 2 rooms at HLL and he feels the same as you do.

I do feel bad for those who purchased prior to the BK tho...hopefully over time they will be made whole again. Al Kryger was one helluva salesman.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
RJ and Camp- I agree.  We were very fortunate.  I do agree that Groupon is not sustainable but I think at the time I guess they thought it's better than nothing and gets people in there. The wedding venue does sound promising as well.  I also believe that some of the revenue from the sale of the timeshares went for mountain upgrades and from the pics I am seeing, it looks to be paying off.

I am sure people were upset when they saw the prices being offered last year but at least it is sold out and the occupancy rate is supposedly higher than years past so hopefully some of the older owners will be making money as well. It is a very nice facility.