Greek Peak Mountain Summit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Mountain Summit

billyymc
Greek needs to put up a sign at the quad that shows people they need to put their knees against the bar/gate for the thing to open. Last night there was hardly anyone there so it wasn't' a big deal, but many times had three or four or five empty chairs go by as people stood there waiting for the gate to open. Are the lifties not allowed to tell folks what to do? Because they weren't…they were just standing there watching.

Would suck on a weekend when there is a line building.

Put up a freakin sign. I'll even draw it for you…stick figure with it's knees against the gate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
There doesn't seem to be a training program for the new employees. This is evident from HLL to the ski area. Employees show up for their first day of work and are placed on the job. It appears to be the responsibility of their peers to train them. This is the "small business" aspect of the resort shining through.

Since HLL opened, we've heard excuse after excuse in the Acorn grill about the employees being new, and the difficulty they have attracting and retaining qualified individuals. Unemployment in the region isn't exactly zero, but what one pays is generally what one gets.

Excuses can be made, but AAA noticed. If you recall, when the hotel opened, it received a 4-Diamond rating. It dropped to 3-Diamonds, and then unrated.  Now, AAA doesn't even list them. The facilities are beautiful, but quality and service are lacking. With qualified leadership, not much would be required to move the property forward.
Reply | Threaded
|

GPPartner
This post was updated on .
Thank you for the wonderful comments and suggestions.  Keep them coming.  The neat (if I can say that at 44) thing about the manufacturing world, which is my other part timer job,  is it is all based on process and procedure, so this is why we have hired Lane Simon (operations manager)  to make sure everybody is on the same page at all times.  Much like a big freight-liner, the ship is turning, but the turning radius is miles long.  Hang in there and keep your comments coming.
Reply | Threaded
|

GPPartner
In reply to this post by Rj1972
As I have learned throughout my life, starting with my baseball cards as a kid, published value is only as good as someone willing to pay for it.  By limiting supply it will create a demand and with that a desire to pay more for something because of the limited supply.  We do not make decisions based on whims as our early investor's are some of our most loyal customer's.  We will continue to work to get the most ADR for our customer's as we still own 120 units ourselves.  Keep the great suggestions and constructive criticism coming.  Only way to get better!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Winner,s Attitude there GPP ! Kudos onthat 'tude .. Quality is a journey  often. A marathon and it looks from afar up here in NNY you guys are trekking  right along  , trying to stay close to your customer . FEEDBACK is the Breakfast of Champions  !

warp
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
The old owners didn't like feedback.  They would often argue on their facebook when suggestions were offered.  Greek has a ways to go but, they've greatly improved and continue to improve.  I'm impressed with everything they've  been able to do in a short time and their attitudes towards feedback.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
My two cents, and granted that it is from far away. Owners have responsibility for a lot of things. The two that I care about most are lifts and snowmaking.  These guys are pushing ahead on that stuff in a very solid way.  They are pushing ahead on a lot of other things too (believe me) and those things matter to people who are important to GPs success.  Personally, as a hardcore family skier, I like what the partners have done.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
I appreciate the professionalism of the owners. There have been some harsh comments and criticisms expressed, but instead of taking a defensive attitude, they seem to be embracing TQI and feedback from customers.

As a Cascades Club member who learned that some of the potential bidders/buyers had expressed a commitment to maintain the Cascade agreement that was put in place under the previous ownership, I was disappointed When Marc and John announced their intent not to repay the initial Cascade investment, but would honor the balance. I am certainly not thrilled with that decision, and of course, it could have been worse.

Given that I own real estate at GP, I obviously have an interest in seeing the resort prosper.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Greek needs to put up a sign at the quad that shows people they need to put their knees against the bar/gate for the thing to open.  
I agree Billy that would be helpful. Instead of a sign I could see where a big ass monitor (similar to the one on the side of the welcome center) would be beneficial. They could run a video loop of lifties properly loading happy customers, and a "spoof" clip of how NOT to load the lift. Something like that would be entertaining for peeps while waiting in line. Being that the Visions Quad is the hub of the main area it would be a good place to advertise lunch specials, repair specials, ski shop specials, HLL specials, demo days, upcoming events, AND MUSIC, etc. etc.

billyymc wrote

Put up a freakin sign. I'll even draw it for you…stick figure with it's knees against the gate.

Too bush league for these guys, Billy. That's something the old ownership would do
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
campgottagopee wrote
billyymc wrote
Greek needs to put up a sign at the quad that shows people they need to put their knees against the bar/gate for the thing to open.  
I agree Billy that would be helpful. Instead of a sign I could see where a big ass monitor (similar to the one on the side of the welcome center) would be beneficial. They could run a video loop of lifties properly loading happy customers, and a "spoof" clip of how NOT to load the lift. Something like that would be entertaining for peeps while waiting in line. Being that the Visions Quad is the hub of the main area it would be a good place to advertise lunch specials, repair specials, ski shop specials, HLL specials, demo days, upcoming events, AND MUSIC, etc. etc.

billyymc wrote

Too bush league for these guys, Billy. That's something the old ownership would do
Ooorrr...the lifties could actually talk...you know...use words to tell people what they need to do
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote

Ooorrr...the lifties could actually talk...you know...use words to tell people what they need to do
Do you mean like they did in the old days??? What a great idea!! There's no old school lifties around anymore at GP, we sure could use Chawgo ---- may he RIP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by GPPartner
GPPartner wrote
 .  Much like a big freight-liner, the ship is turning, but the turning radius is miles long.  Hang in there and keep your comments coming.
I think it's important that all the GP faithful keep this statement in mind. We all, including Marc and Jon, were around to watch the hill get run right into the ground. It took 50 years to ruin it, hopefully it wont take that long to bring 'er back.

The culture is changing. I had the wonderful opportunity to share a beer yesterday with one of the old timers (he's been around since day 1, yeah he's old) and these are his words, "It's nice to see it fun again here at Greek Peak".
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Camp-agree 100%. I hope the enthusiasm continues...I am looking forward to the days when my military career is over so I will be home long enough to enjoy GP with my family like my brother and I did growing up.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Lifties on chair 4 "get it"

Don't know their names, but the blond and the younger dude with a beard on the bottom of 4 were a very pleasant surprise......We rolled up there and got, "Good morning guys, how's your day? Welcome to chair 4"

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Yes, it certainly is a hit-or-miss situation, but they definitely have a few effective customer oriented individuals. Training and appropriate hiring practices would do a world of good.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
Yes, it certainly is a hit-or-miss situation, but they definitely have a few effective customer oriented individuals. Training and appropriate hiring practices would do a world of good.
Agree, that's one thing that has yet to change from the previous owners, but I get the feeling it will change.
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
We need a bump run that gets snowmaking.  Perhaps alchemy or wendys.