classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak Surprise Powder day 2/12/12

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
I woke up to 2-3" on my deck and drove in a snowstorm to Greek Peak where there was about 6" of fluffy powder. It snowed hard throughout the day, thanks to the great lakes. I think it was coming off Ontario, but it might have been Erie since the winds were very west, but turned north later in the day and really picked up.

The morning wasn't even that cold, and it was a pleasure to ski powder again.

I skied with a few friends, including Snowmonkey and AcidChrist.

I parked at Chair 5 both days. You could ski over to the rest of the resort, but you could not ski back and had to take the shuttle bus. With 6-8" of fluff I decided to make my way back on skis on Arcadian Gate. Since there was no base, and the snow was very cold, dry and fluffy, I didn't make any turns. I felt the stubs of cut burdock and goldenrod under my skis. They left some scuffs, but nothing base-damaging.

Conditions on Mars Hill stayed good and powdery all day since traffic had been limited.

Was a very nice day of skiing fluffy powder in central NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Surprise Powder day 2/12/12

campgottagopee
That WAS a surprise for sure. From what I cleared off my driveway I'd say we got a total of 10"  by the time it stopped Sunday afternoon....from my perch in Orions it sure looked sweet!!! A18 Gang was smiling
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
nice... about time! i forgot about jr's birthday party and mrs snowbunski's psia clinic yesterday so never made it up, some fresh would have made for a great birthday present for the kid! (besides his new nordica dead money's)
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
It was some of the lightest snow I've every seen. I stopped and grabbed some to eat, and it was like cotton candy. I stopped up to Orion's around 11:30 where I met Camp, Rob, and Jamie. Sorry Rob, I can't remember your screen name. I had balls of ice encrusting my mustache and goatee. It did ski kind of slow first thing in the morning, it was a little grabby. I waxed my skis the day before, unless the frozen granular at Platty ground all of it off.  We also poached Arcadian Gate to get to chair 5. You had to be careful not to try to edge on it as it was so light, you were right down to dirt. No major harm done to my new sticks.

PQ, I talked with AC as he was leaving the Patrol HQ. Are you still sporting the yellow jacket? What a relief to ski something besides frozen granular, it was great....more please.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Corn, thought you were feeling "sick" yesterday???

Rob=pro2860
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
nice... about time! i forgot about jr's birthday party and mrs snowbunski's psia clinic yesterday so never made it up, some fresh would have made for a great birthday present for the kid! (besides his new nordica dead money's)
Sorry you didn't make it. To say the least sat nite was "interesting", there was a BOO sighting....youda loved meeting this guy.

Temps look good for most of the week (thursday in 40's) and calling for little snow so this weekend should be good too.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
campgottagopee wrote
Temps look good for most of the week (thursday in 40's) and calling for little snow so this weekend should be good too.
 game plan for now is to head up late thursday night for some friday/sat turns
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Corn, thought you were feeling "sick" yesterday???

Rob=pro2860
Yeah, I know..we're friggin buried, they wouldn't have appreciated it, I would. I'm going to head up there tomorrow after work. Sorry you missed out on the fun yesterday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cornhead wrote
  Sorry you missed out on the fun yesterday.
Thanks, I was pretty bummed out about it too.

I met the guys for breakfast before they headed out to the hill. Got a text from my wife, "you better not be skiing today"...I can't get away with anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Put a brace on it and ski... its good prehab.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's what I'm hoping for. Go back to my Doc Feb 21st...find out the deal then
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
It was some of the lightest snow I've every seen. I stopped and grabbed some to eat, and it was like cotton candy. I stopped up to Orion's around 11:30 where I met Camp, Rob, and Jamie. Sorry Rob, I can't remember your screen name. I had balls of ice encrusting my mustache and goatee. It did ski kind of slow first thing in the morning, it was a little grabby. I waxed my skis the day before, unless the frozen granular at Platty ground all of it off.  We also poached Arcadian Gate to get to chair 5. You had to be careful not to try to edge on it as it was so light, you were right down to dirt. No major harm done to my new sticks.

PQ, I talked with AC as he was leaving the Patrol HQ. Are you still sporting the yellow jacket? What a relief to ski something besides frozen granular, it was great....more please.
Did you see my tracks on Arcadian Gate? Mine were the only ski tracks when I went down it. There were 2 snowboard tracks but they were mostly filled in. I used one of the tracks toward the bottom because I was hitting the cut crub pokers and the snowboard kinda packed the snow down and buffered a little.

You won't see me in yellow at GP. I have a black heavy down jacket with a down-stuffed hood. GP is one of the coldest places to ski because the lift rides are so long and there is not much effort on the short descent to warm you up. So I bought a 400 weight down parka, in black, so it won't show the grease stains from the lift and keeps me warm. I usually wear a green helmet with the black parka.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Powderqueen wrote
Cornhead wrote

Did you see my tracks on Arcadian Gate? Mine were the only ski tracks when I went down it. There were 2 snowboard tracks but they were mostly filled in. I used one of the tracks toward the bottom because I was hitting the cut crub pokers and the snowboard kinda packed the snow down and buffered a little.

You won't see me in yellow at GP. I have a black heavy down jacket with a down-stuffed hood. GP is one of the coldest places to ski because the lift rides are so long and there is not much effort on the short descent to warm you up. So I bought a 400 weight down parka, in black, so it won't show the grease stains from the lift and keeps me warm. I usually wear a green helmet with the black parka.
  They may have been our tracks, my buddy was on a board, I didn't see any tracks when we skied it. I'll have to keep an eye out for your green helmet when at Greek. What a fun day Sunday was. It was so peaceful, not having to worry about what hazards lurked beneath the sno cone snow we've been skiing all Winter. I sure hope more is in store. I have a feeling I won't be skiing the backside of Sugarloaf this May, as I did last year. I hear it is Winter up there now though, maybe I should make my pilgrimage early this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Hey PDQ, you shared a chair that day with my buddy from Horseheads, Mark, darksider. It must have been chair four. I had left him to take a break at Orions'. He does twenty runs and doesn't stop, not me. I told him about your post, he said he talked to a girl from Newfield about poaching Arcadian Gate. I asked him if she had a green helmet, bingo. So those were our tracks you saw.

It skied even better yesterday, glade off of Mars skied quite nicely also, it was closed. A little grabby, but not bad, decent coverage. It was fun to be in some woods...finally. Greek skied really nice yesterday, and I was at Elk Saturday. It's usually a let down coming back to Greek, not this time.