18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak footie from the 70's

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Just saw this over on EarlyUPs.

Some 70"s style at Greek Peak....I thought it was pretty cool  (Especially the Demetre Sweaters they're wearing. They were so desirable back when I was a ski grom.  Not that grom was a word then.)

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak footie from the 70's

campgottagopee
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT T.D.

Man was that cool, reminded me of being a kid. The T-bar, chair 1 (still using it today), A-frame before the base lodge, little trees, freestyle jump, so on and so on. Love the shot of the dude lighting up a cig before blasting off the jump ----- those were the dayz yo
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Before the recent changes, had anything infrastructure-wise changed in all those decades?

Nice touch with "Jessica" as the music bed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Before the recent changes, had anything infrastructure-wise changed in all those decades?

Nice touch with "Jessica" as the music bed.
I'd say not really, most everything at GP was built/installed in the 70's.

Let's put it this way ---- in the early 80's (my highschool yrs) I worked at GP (2 summers) as a helper to the electrician. Part of my duties were to take apart and clean the hand dryers located in the bathrooms, those same hand dryers are in the bathrooms today. That said, I firmly believe that our new owners will bring the rest of GP up to the level of the new hotel and adventure center. I for one am excited about that. These guys have made some incredible improvements in just the short 9 months they'vew owned the place, can't wait to see what's gonna happen in the next 9 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
campgottagopee wrote
 those same hand dryers are in the bathrooms today.
I'm surprised you even notice since we all know you never wash your hands after using the bathroom.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
campgottagopee wrote
 those same hand dryers are in the bathrooms today.
I'm surprised you even notice since we all know you never wash your hands after using the bathroom.  
I got nuttin
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Am I the only one who had to google ski "grom"  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
...my duties were to take apart and clean the hand dryers located in the bathrooms, those same hand dryers are in the bathrooms today.
That's an impressive record of hand dryer maintenance.  I applaud you.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
...my duties were to take apart and clean the hand dryers located in the bathrooms, those same hand dryers are in the bathrooms today.
That's an impressive record of hand dryer maintenance.  I applaud you.

LMAO

I take my work very seriously

Wonder if all the money I saved them due to my incredible maintance skillz would warrant a free beer

GP, if you're lurking I'll be in the bar Sunday, 11AM sharp!!
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
We hit that lip on lower Stoic until we were blue in the face.  It had been leveled off before this video was taken, that's why they had to build a big jump.  "Flying Eddie Ferguson" and co. were probably at GP during the '72-'73 season
which was about the peak of the first wave of freestyle skiing.  My friend, Suzie, was the first freestyle instructor
at GP.  Some people really looked down on the "hot-dog" technique because hot-doggers didn't ski parallel.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
wedeler wrote
We hit that lip on lower Stoic until we were blue in the face.  It had been leveled off before this video was taken, that's why they had to build a big jump.  "Flying Eddie Ferguson" and co. were probably at GP during the '72-'73 season
which was about the peak of the first wave of freestyle skiing.  My friend, Suzie, was the first freestyle instructor
at GP.  Some people really looked down on the "hot-dog" technique because hot-doggers didn't ski parallel.

Great info Wedeler. You still ski at GP don't you, and I mean a lot!?!?! Every time I'm there I see a "wedeler" pro, it's gotta be you  --- rock on baby!

Was the lip on Stoic used for freestyle jumping back in those days??? That lip was before my day, the only freestyle jump I know of was the one that was located behind the race shack.

You ever ski at Virgil's first ski area Snow Crest??? I love hearing stories from my father about Snow Crest and Greek in the early days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
What a great era!  I miss the good old days.
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
I have not skied Greek Peak in many years. Make that decades.   If there is a geezer wedeln down the slopes, I might know him from the old days.  John Parker comes to mind.  He was master of the slow motion jet turn and all the ladies were smitten with him.  A real legend at the Peak.   He must be up in his eighties by now, but last I heard he was still skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll try and find out his name. The guy is fun to watch ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Are you talking about Gene Wexell? He is the guy that does those double pole plants..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
Are you talking about Gene Wexell? He is the guy that does those double pole plants..
Yeah, that's him --- double pole plant then the 3 to 4 quick wedels ---- great fun to watch, imo

Isn't he in his late 70's????
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I think he is in his 80's
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It's interesting how the vibe has changed over the years--not just at GP, but at other ski areas, as well. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling, but there used to be so much going on at ski areas.  It wasn't just about skiing back then.