classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak powder morning 1/13/11

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
After about 10-12" of fluff had fallen in the previous 48 hours, and the thumbs up from Acidchrist on conditions, it was time to get out to Greek Peak and enjoy some powder before the holiday crowds descend upon Virgil.

I got on the first chair of the morning and took a lap on the ungroomed side of Eleysian Fields and then down to Stoic woods. The snow quality was superb for Greek Peak. Fluff with a base in most places.

I ran into a friend for the 2nd run and together we did 2 laps on Fields woods and Stoic woods. There was a lot of fresh untracked snow and it was well worth another lap.

Then we headed over to lower Aesops Glade. Chair 2 wasn't running and a hike up to the top of that would have been fruitful, but I was short on time and wanted to spend time skiing, not hiking. Had I stayed another hour, I would have definitely done that hike and would have definitely had some really nice fresh snow. We looked at it from below and Atlas looked sweet and fresh. Lower Aesops was good, but there are many snowsnakes in there and downed trees to avoid.

My friend had bought 2 pairs of skis this winter and was skiing on the Rossi S86s. He really liked them, however, the other ski he bought was the Line Prophet 100. He decided he liked the Line ski much better and is selling the Rossi's.

We rode chair 4 and did a run on Zeus, which had a nice powder stash and may have been open for the first time this year. There were some very thin spots before the headwall that were windblown, but was well worth scratching over for the fluff that had accumulated below.

Then we went over to Chair 5. Alsops Glade was ok, though it was very thin in places and we hit bottom a few times. We scooted out under the lift and over to Arethusa. The powder on Arethusa was excellent and knee deep. It was my pick of the day. The ski patrol yelled something from the lift to us as we skied by. At the top of the lift they were waiting to inform us that it was closed. I told them it had much better snow than Zeus and Alsops and was surprised it was closed. He said it looked like we did well with it and skied back toward the main area. So Bill and I went and did another lap, which was fresh powder all the way down. Totally sweet.

Acidchrist was done with his chores and met us at Chair 1 for a run down Olympian. It was pretty good and had lots of fresh snow. There were some weeds poking through, but nothing we couldn't ski over. It was a fun way to end my powder pigout for the morning.

At that point it was time for me to call it a day and head back to the office for a noon meeting. When I arrived at work my meeting was postponed...darn it...I would've definitely taken a few more runs with Acidchrist had I known. It was very cold though, so it was about time my toes needed to defrost anyway, and it is pretty nice being in my warm office eating warm apple pie from Hollenbecks, though a hike up to Chair 2 might have been another way to warm up. I'm sure there will be more mornings like this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak powder morning 1/13/11

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Nice TR, Queen. I was there Tuesday A.M., which was nice, but no POW......glad you got it and you even had a few more trails officially "open". We may have opened a few on tuesday , but don't tell anyone.

You hit the "Electra" ???? It was little thin on Tuesday but gotta imagine it was sa_weet wed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
I skied a tree the other day. But just one.

(Insert green jealous emoticon guy here.)

Hey PDQ - do the trees at Greek compare to anything I know?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I miss having a mountain a half hour away :(  Great report ! :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I skied a tree the other day. But just one.

(Insert green jealous emoticon guy here.)

Hey PDQ - do the trees at Greek compare to anything I know?
well, some of the glades are in reforested areas and the conifers were planted in rows. The hardwood glades are more like Tahawus. The off-the-map glades aren't as clean as Chuckie's...there are lots of snowsnakes...especially when the snowpack isn't that deep. It is currently just deep enough, barely.

I hit some hard stuff (rock or wood) in Alsop's glade. I didn't think it had much base in there, but there was certainly enough snow to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
Don't worry about the hard stuff (rock or wood) those P100's eat that stuff for lunch!