Greek vrs. Elk

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek vrs. Elk

Chatiemac
Less than 2 hours apart.  Comparable in price and vertical   What do you think?

Greek +s:   Tree skiing, Adventure Center & Water Park, Longer Season, Lake Effect, Many trails with lights, serves Magic Hat
Elk +s:   Better facilities. (Lodge,etc),  better steeps, better moguls, very accommodating to PSIA/NSP members
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek vrs. Elk

Big D
Greek has always stayed open as late into the season as possible... often into April. Elk is almost always an early closer. Come the 3rd weekend in March and the number of skiers shrinking the owner pulls the plug and CLOSES usually with a deep machine made base left. The Elk owner guarantees the seasons pass holders, 100 days of skiing and when those 100 days are up they CLOSE. It does not matter how much snow is left on the hill... It is just frustrating to me that Elk can't go into April even for the last few weekends only. Also the owner of Elk will not allow any skiing in the trees at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I drive right by camelback, montage and elk to get to greek  better snow, terrain and vibe. oh and top to bottom bumps skiers left on iliad are very nice right now and will put a hurtin on ya!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Chatiemac
Chatiemac wrote
Less than 2 hours apart.  Comparable in price and vertical   What do you think?Greek +s:   Tree skiing, Adventure Center & Water Park, Longer Season, Lake Effect, Many trails with lights, serves Magic HatElk +s:   Better facilities. (Lodge,etc),  better steeps, better moguls, very accommodating to PSIA/NSP members
  Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Both mountains are very similar in vert and trail count. I live exactly in between the two. I'd love to alternate season passes between the two, but Elk is just too expensive, $753 IIRC, even with the bump of a c note, Greek is a deal. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Greek. There's just more variety at Greek, not only marked and unmarked glades, but natural trails, and ex trails. I'll never forget my first visit to Elk. I started knocking off trails from skiers right working my way across the mountain. Everything was meticulously groomed, I thought there would be nothing there I wouldn't ski. I turned to head down Tunkhanock, VW Bug sized bumps were staring me in the face, I looked for a bail out groomed section, nope, bumps tree line to tree line, I passed. Elk advertises on the radio, "Like skiing in Vermont, without the drive." I kept going to VT thinking, what the hell are they talking about? Then I went to Okemo, BINGO!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Chatiemac
    I have a pass at Elk, been great this season, ,would love to have Greek positioned where Elk is, would alternate skiing both areas.  Everyone has been in the trees at Elk this past week. Elk has no Spring skiing culture here at all, once Winter programs wind down ,place is empty. I drove by the place last April, going to work  , after it closed, trails had full coverage to mid April.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
I also live between Greek and Elk really 10 min closer to Elk. I prefer Elk over Greek but get pass at Greek. Reason...Price and friends ski At Greek. I do get a little upset early season when we are skiing the same 3 trails over and over,while Elk has all but 1 trail open. If Greek put some of that price increase into snow making I am ok with it. If they don't next year,I will bite the bullet and probally get a pass at Elk.
When you look at what has been open Greek really have not been up to maybe 75% till just resent. Tree skiing never really something you can count on every year. Elk no tree skiing but have always better snow and conditions IMO and more open. And let's not get into the lodge and food cause Elk is the clear winner