Greylock ski area?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greylock ski area?

PowderAssassin
Too bad boring overpriced gaper central jiminy peak has put a complete stranglehold on any ski areas being developed nearby.(MONOPOLY is not capitalism) Mount greylock would by far make the best ski area in mass. They get the most snow and has a ton of vertical. Nice post in the blog about it.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greylock ski area?

MC2 5678F589
Pretty sure nobody wants that. It's on the Appalachian trail. Places like Greylock are preserved for a reason.

Maybe go to a place before you form an opinion?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
You going to ride this storm or let the bad road conditions scare you off?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
PowderAssassin wrote
Too bad boring overpriced gaper central jiminy peak has put a complete stranglehold on any ski areas being developed nearby.(MONOPOLY is not capitalism) Mount greylock would by far make the best ski area in mass. They get the most snow and has a ton of vertical. Nice post in the blog about it.
Read the history of Greylock. It is state land, the high peak of Mass, it would be like making a resort on Marcy. As the article states, there is a great natural E-NE facing ski run, what it does not say is the mountain is covered with trails an a road up the north and south shoulder, hike it if you like it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I searched around for info on that mountain after reading that article. Looks awesome the way it is. There is a small ski area that sits on the lower flank of Greylock, it's small but it looks really cool. I couldn't figure out if the Thunderbolt trail drops into that area or not. I love the idea of small ski areas that have bitchen side country ski touring.

The powerline on Greylock looks like it might be a fun ski as well.

If I ever make it out east Greylock would be on my list of places to visit, Jiminy Peak would not.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Pretty sure nobody wants that. It's on the Appalachian trail. Places like Greylock are preserved for a reason.

I've driven to the top of greylock.  Yeah because of some tree hugging nutjobs. Same with wawa. I'm all for preserving forest land, but cutting a few trails for a ski area is no big deal. They already cut a road to the top.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
The bad road conditions and high priced lift tickets will keep me at home
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PowderAssassin wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

I've driven to the top of greylock.  Yeah because of some tree hugging nutjobs. Same with wawa. I'm all for preserving forest land, but cutting a few trails for a ski area is no big deal. They already cut a road to the top.
I'm all for preserving your backyard, but drilling for natural gas is no big deal. You already have a house there.

Pretty sure it's more than just "tree hugging nut jobs" that don't want trails and lifts all over the highest mountain in Mass that also happens to have a storied history.

Maybe you should stop posting on forums for about 10 years while you learn how the world works. That'd get you to about age 25, when you'd be old enough to have a slightly more informed opinion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
The bad road conditions and high priced lift tickets will keep me at home
Maybe you can slay some powder in your dreams.  Ill be driving in it tomorrow and headed to whoever picks up the most snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
What's the highest point in vermont? LOL Is there a ski area there?
You could still maintain hiking trails to the top of greylock for people.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
You know what? Fine, you win.

Let's line up Marcy, Washington, and Katahdin for ski areas, too. I mean, they could still have hiking trails, so it shouldn't matter to anyone.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Aren't there plenty of ski areas? I mean, do we really want to develop everything? And, how many that already exist are actually financially sustainable? I don't think it makes very much sense to keep building them when the majority barely survive.

Why not be stealth and go thin some forest on Greylock Powassasin? Get some touring bindings and boots and have your own secret stash.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
PowderAssassin wrote
What's the highest point in vermont? LOL Is there a ski area there?You could still maintain hiking trails to the top of greylock for people.
You already have your wish, there is a ski run and the use fee is one even someone like you living in an abandonned shipping container can afford, you just have to work a little for it, but work seems to be an unfamiliar concept to you.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
these tree hugging nutjobs preserve our forest..  We should just turn every peak in the 'skills and ADK's into resorts with your reasoning.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Aren't there plenty of ski areas? I mean, do we really want to develop everything? And, how many that already exist are actually financially sustainable? I don't think it makes very much sense to keep building them when the majority barely survive.

Why not be stealth and go thin some forest on Greylock Powassasin? Get some touring bindings and boots and have your own secret stash.
Hiking sucks. Lot's of them are making millions like Jiminy/wachusett ect. It's big business in most ski areas now. Not a small operation. BIG business. Corporate.

No there aren't a lot of the ski areas in proportion to the amount of people/crowds. Got to Quebec and you'd be shocked how many ski areas there are in proportion to the population.

There's Especially no ski areas far south with that much snow and vertical(that's the FIRST area that should have been made into a ski area in MA)
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by louie.mirags
louie.mirags wrote
these tree hugging nutjobs preserve our forest..  We should just turn every peak in the 'skills and ADK's into resorts with your reasoning.
Absolutely not every peak. Do you know how many peaks there are? Hell it doesn't even need to be greylock. I'm all for preserving natural beauty. There's a bunch of peaks on that spine of the taconic range that could be used. Not many mountains like these this far south.

For comparison jiminy peak....looks like a golf course hill compared to greylock. And greylock gets smashed with snow. Tremendous upslope effect.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
my comment more refers to the fact you take a stab at environmentalist and conservationist like they are the enemy...
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
louie.mirags wrote
my comment more refers to the fact you take a stab at environmentalist and conservationist like they are the enemy...
Some of them are. The extremists sitting in trees at wachusett. The one's that care more about a shark than a person and HATE people and want to preserve nature FROM people instead of FOR people. I don't like those people. I'm totally for cleaner air, cleaner water, preserving open space, forest ect. ect. But there's a lunatic fringe for sure in that category.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
there are lunatics on both sides of that argument and every other debate out there.. I am for protecting land that is currently undeveloped in the Northeast...  There are plenty of other mountains open like posted before and touring is always an option
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
I've driven to the top of greylock.  
Did you wear your helmet?