Guess Who's Back

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Guess Who's Back

snoloco
ASC, which in my opinion was one of the worst ski resort operators ever to exist is coming back.  Whether you love or hate Otten, you've gotta admire the fact that he hasn't given up on the ski business, even after the fall of ASC.  Hopefully he learns from his past mistakes.

http://www.saminfo.com/news/balsams-resort-les-otten-explore-joint-future

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Guess Who's Back

Z
Looks like a Sunday river type redo.  His plans alway include fractional ownership real estate.

More snow and Less Otten
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I was thinking you were refering to someone else..... Oops
Move along, nothing to see here.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Z
<quote author="Coach Z">
Looks like a Sunday river type redo.  His plans alway include fractional ownership real estate.

More snow and Less Otten

</quote

Is that like time shares?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Like him or hate him, Otten has done a lot of good and made a lot of money along the way. His formula seems to be to go big with OPM and see what happens. Win or loose - he still does OK.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
More rocken less otten
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Yes but they don't just sell a week but minimum 1/6 shares
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Otten always over reaches and then goes bust leaving someone else to pick up the mess he made

He should be banned from owning a ski area for life.  I can't believe the suckers that keep loaning money to him
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CNL Properties which owns Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Okemo, Crested Butte, and Big Sky just to mention a few is going to sell off every one of their resorts.  I am pretty sure that Otten might try and get Sunday River and even Sugarloaf back.  If he did, it would be the same story as when the MC new/old owners bought it back from Intrawest.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Sno, what's the deal with CNL? Do you think the original people that ran Okemo buy it back? Heard the snowmaking was subpar this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
The company is moving away from the ski business altogether for sure.  They may be completely dissolving as they also sold off all their golf courses and senior housing.  

There are some people who are trumping up the return of Otten to the ski business and think it is a massively great thing.  He is also in the Maine Ski Hall of Fame.  I wonder why some people are trumping up the return of the very person who ran over 5 resorts into the ground so he could build The Canyons and become rich beyond his wildest dreams.  I think it is partly because he is a well known figure in New England, Maine especially and he employed a lot of people when doing his ski area expansion work.  Being part owner of the Boston Red Sox, I'm sure the media knows him well too.  I think people have somewhat forgotten what a $hit show he made out of his eastern resorts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Good insight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by snoloco
I thought Big Sky (and River and Loaf) was owned by Boyne Resorts, or is Boyne in turn owned by CNL?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CNL is the parent company of Boyne Resorts.