Gulp: It's time for a Riding Lawnmower.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gulp: It's time for a Riding Lawnmower.

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Woa, bitchin!

So I got the scoop, the $40 is not the intro price, it's the nice price from the next door neighbor's cousin who has a landscaping company.  Wondering if they might extend it to us.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
$40 is not the intro price, it's the nice price from the next door neighbor's cousin who has a landscaping company.  Wondering if they might extend it to us.
Offer him $50 and be done with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Well, congrats on the new pad! Any other home improvement questions, fire away.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Get a self propelled walk behind - it will keep you young.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Used to do it all until i was 73 , then said screw it .

Hired a lawn and plowing service ( cutting , trimming , blowing , leaf removal ) that also plows my 140 ft long driveway ( no. Minimum snowfall requirement  ) simply plows with each snowfall .

They  also do our multiple walks and stairways  @ 125 a month includes all tax.

.. Like i said , i value my free time and no need to store , maintain and operate any equipment ..., the place always looks great . They also clear our several large flower gardens  around the property at the end of each season .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd sign up for that deal Warp!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
$40 is a great price, not sure what the front yard looks like- but just by the looks of that backyard there's enough crap to trim around etc to fetch a higher price.

We picked up a used 52" Simplicity Zero Turn for a great price and haven't looked back.  I honestly beat the hell out of it mowing approx 3-4 acres and it hasn't shown any signs of fatigue.

I would never mow your lawn with a walk behind or even a rider.  Zero turns are just so much quicker and easier to maneuver. Looks like you could get that done in 45 min with zero turn and weed whack at every other mow.

It does really boil down to your lifestyle.  Some people take pride or enjoy doing yard work others say f-it let someone else do it.  If you're the later half, well then $40 is a helluva price.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I agree with the zero turn mowers if that's all your looking to do with them. I needed a 4WD tractor for snow removal (have a nasty ass blower on the front of it), as well as a front end loader for it. They make a backhoe which I'll get at some point.

I've never operated a zero turn but I can tell they would cut mowing time in damn neat half.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Chris
Three quarters of an acre?

My dad is 80 and mows his hilly acre with a self-propelled walk behind. Swears it has kept him healthy to this day. He's in better shape physically than a lot of 50-something's that I know.

Just sayin...contrary to what others are saying here, under an acre doesn't really call for a rider. It just isn't that big and if it's flattish doesn't take that long even with a normal size walk behind. Heck get two walk behinds and two people mowing at once can get that done in 30 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chris
Front yard is about the same size and a similar number of obstacles (trees).

Not sure I can get the $40 price longterm, we will see.

One thing is that I'd likely use the mowing time to exercise, so it's not like exercise or not.  That said I like the walk behind idea, get some arm action on the turns.  If I was 80 like billy's dad it would be a no brainer, I'd walk it, because I'd be retired. It's about time, money and exercise. One other thing, mentally I get more out of the exercise if I can hear the birds and there isn't a motor running.

I am no longer walking to work and I am feeling it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’d go one further and say you don’t need a self propelled. Maybe they’ve improved self propelled mowers since I gave up on them but I always liked the lighter weight and simplicity of a pusher.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Three quarters of an acre?
3 to 4 acres- I mow a handful of properties
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I’d go one further and say you don’t need a self propelled. Maybe they’ve improved self propelled mowers since I gave up on them but I always liked the lighter weight and simplicity of a pusher.
Yeah, I agree with this. Less parts to break.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
It is less expensive to fix a lawnmower vs fixing the operator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
How old are you?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Yep Campy its a sweet deal , been using these great guys for 3 yrs now . He has 3 two man crews ech equipped with  plow truck and zero turn mowers , push mowers  for the close work , blowers , trimmers  etc . Not only does his bill include all tax at 125 but dude also sends it with self addressed STAMPED envelope .

Great guy , responds within 5 minutes to any texts if i need to get out really early  in the am for a mtg or chit !   He was rediculously cheap ( $ 84 a month ) first year before the new minimum wage law went into effect . So last year he cut the lawn 26 times ( 2/week early season ) and plowed me out get this 33 times !!!!

I tip him and crew bigtime at XMAS
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.