classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gulp: It's time for a Riding Lawnmower.

Harvey
Administrator
I just went from a 60 x 90 lot to .73 of an acre.

Back in my day (high school) my dad had 1.3 acres, and we'd cut that by hand with a push mower and then eventually we bought self-propelled walk behind.

I googled it and the internet seems to think I need a 42 inch deck and a 15 or 20 HP motor.  Also my wife agrees.  I don't think I can hold out against both.

The guy who sold us this house put in a pretty big shed and had a big ol John Deere zero turn thing in there.  I probably should have tried to buy it from him.

In any case, to the point, I need the benefit of your wise counsel:

Who uses a riding law mower?
What brands do you like for easy of starting, reliability and durability?
Do I need zero turn? Do I want it?
Do the old style tractor type have any advantages?
With zero turn do you also need a little push mower for trimming?
What am i missing?

Thanks all.

https://www.hutsoninc.com/blog/riding-mower-vs-zero-turn/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-Z345M-42-in-22-HP-Gas-Dual-Hydrostatic-Zero-Turn-Riding-Mower-BG21129/307894610
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gulp: It's time for a Riding Lawnmower.

JasonWx
i would get a commercial walk behind. 36" or 42"

I cut lawns when I was a young'n.. avg 1/2 or 3/4  acre lawn would take 2 guys 15 or 20 mins max...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
You can get something adequate for less than $2,799 I’m sure, but let’s stick with that.

$2,800 plus tax, plus 5 years of gas and maintenance (assume $150 per year) will cost you in the neighborhood of $3,750, plus the earnings on investment you’d have gotten if you didn’t have to lay out the $2,800.  So, conservatively, 5 years of using that pup will cost you more than four grand.  If you don’t bring it to the Daks you can sell it after 5 years, so maybe you get your 5 year cost of ownership down to four grand, with no major repairs.

All that said....considering a 20 week mowing season at $50 or less a week it wouldn’t cost you a whole lot more to pay someone to mow your lawn.....thereby freeing up five years of spring to fall Saturday afternoons!  Unless you are going to take great pride in manicuring your own lawn, that’s gotta be worth $200 a year, no?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
JTG4eva! wrote
All that said....considering a 20 week mowing season at $50 or less a week it wouldn’t cost you a whole lot more to pay someone to mow your lawn.....thereby freeing up five years of spring to fall Saturday afternoons!  Unless you are going to take great pride in manicuring your own lawn, that’s gotta be worth $200 a year, no?
I don't know exactly where Harvey lives but where I live you couldn't get anyone to cut 3/4 of an acre for $50.00. You'd be looking at more towards double that with weed eating. 3/4 of an acre is not that big. I would recommend the 42" walk behind. You can pretty much maneuver them like a zero turn. Plus you get the walking exercise.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
I've been mowing 2 acres since 1999 with a Simplicity Legacy XL 4X4 that I bought new. Before that tractor I ran through 2 Craftsmen, they just aren't built to last.

You won't need the tractor I have but Simplicity makes all kinds of tractors, walk behinds, zero turns etc etc and it's  quality stuff. American made as well. It's commercial grade and will last a long, long time.

One major reason I went with them is beause we have a local dealer. I can't stand servicing that crap myself so I always take it to the dealer for whatever it needs.

Anyway, if interested here's the site.

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/home.html

p.s def get hydrostatic
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
1. How much is your time worth?
2. How long are you going to be in this location until you head north?
10 years or less - get a lawn service.
3. How many years are you going to be physically willing and able to cut your lawn?
4. Will your wife or daughter want to take over if you cannot cut the lawn?

Honestly weigh and answer the questions.
It is not just cutting the lawn - there is all the other stuff that takes time - trimming, weeding, fertilizer, leaves, etc.

I would suggest you get a lawn service. Save your time and energy for your family and business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Time is money ,I have a zero turn 1.75 acre lawn, no push mower needed for trim.Fast and efficient save time save gas.
 Cub Cadet all the way. Get one with grease fittings, last your lifetime.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by trackbiker
trackbiker wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
I don't know exactly where Harvey lives but where I live you couldn't get anyone to cut 3/4 of an acre for $50.00. You'd be looking at more towards double that with weed eating. 3/4 of an acre is not that big. I would recommend the 42" walk behind. You can pretty much maneuver them like a zero turn. Plus you get the walking exercise.
I suspect Harvey and I are similar distances from Manhattan, but direction may make a difference (I’m due N, he’s SW).....but double?  I’m paying $50 a week for a little less than an acre of grass.

I maintained my own yard for a looong time, took pride in it.  I agree, it’s not just the mowing time....because getting the equipment out, trimming, blowing, cleaning up, etc., the time adds up.  That, and you have to plan to be home for a few hour chunk (at a min) on a precious weekend day.  So, when the time came to replace my ride on mower a few years ago  I did the machinations in my head....and freed myself up by getting a service.

I was always more concerned with the engine in my tractors (Kholer>Briggs) than the manufacturer.  Always had good experiences with Craftsman with a Kohler engine.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MTD manufactures most mowers you find in big box stores. Such as Cub Cadet, Bolens, Troy Built, Yard Machine, and I think White.

Not sure about Craftsman. I think they're either made by MTD or Huskqvarna.

Like a lot of things there aren't too many different manufactures.

Simplicity makes Simplicity, and John Deere makes the tractors you buy from a dealer. I don't believe the ones at Lowe's etc are made by JD.

There's a massive difference in the gauge of steel used in one from a dealer vs. big box store. If you don't need one to last more than 5 or so years who really cares, right? Mine is going on 10 yrs old and I'm certain I'll have it for another 10 years.

Harv could always take a quality tractor north with him.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am thinking lawn service all the way.  But I have to sell that idea to two womenfolk who have romantic ideas about riding the lawnmower.

The ever resourceful Zelda offered the next door neighbor's lawn guy 40 bucks and he got it done today:

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Maybe more in line with your environmental beliefs- also only $60 and a great work out. I use one.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Great looking yard, Harv

40 bucks? Hell yeah I'd hire that dude for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
campgottagopee wrote
A classic NJ maneuver: he'll do your lawn two or three times for $40, get you accustomed to the nice job he does (leaving you all smug about your negotiating skillz), then inform you that was a new-customer promotion and double the price.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Great looking yard, Harv

Zelda told me this morning that he weedwhacked the whole thing and pulled some weeds from the garden out front too. Hard to beat that.

One thing that makes me want a mower, there are some miles of mellow (smooth, non-technical) single track just down the street that connect me to a much bigger network.  There are a few spots that get sun and the grass grows up. If I could (legally or on the downlow) mow it, it would be good for walking too.  Be a bit of work to carry and use a weedwhacker or do it with my push.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
You can get something adequate for less than $2,799 I’m sure, but let’s stick with that.

$2,800 plus tax, plus 5 years of gas and maintenance (assume $150 per year) will cost you in the neighborhood of $3,750, plus the earnings on investment you’d have gotten if you didn’t have to lay out the $2,800.  So, conservatively, 5 years of using that pup will cost you more than four grand.  If you don’t bring it to the Daks you can sell it after 5 years, so maybe you get your 5 year cost of ownership down to four grand, with no major repairs.

Thanks for this solid analysis.

Daks will not have enough lawn to justify a rider.

Here's the thing: No part of this move will stand up to the 4-5 year window ROI analysis.  It just doesn't make (financial) sense to do what we did.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
campgottagopee wrote
A classic NJ maneuver: he'll do your lawn two or three times for $40, get you accustomed to the nice job he does (leaving you all smug about your negotiating skillz), then inform you that was a new-customer promotion and double the price.
Ahhh yes. The classic bait and switch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Your looking at 35-45 minutes with a 42" deck.
ROI doesn't include that you can't put a price on peace of mind.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Could always get an ATV/UTV with a tow behind mower. Most likely you would use it at your cabin as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
What would George Jones do?