12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hands-free ski boot bag

Harvey
Administrator
My decrepit boot bag has disintegrated.

I'd like to replace it with something (new) that has a lot of capacity leaves my hands free - ie a backpack style. As a dad, I'm basically a pack mule on a lift-served ski morning.

Any one have something they love?

Also considering getting Neve (5yo) to carry at least some of her gear. Ideas welcome on that too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hands-free ski boot bag

JasonWx
100 different types of back packs out there. try on a few to see what's comfy..

good luck making neve carry her own stuff. that said they make small back packs that hold kids boots. she should be able to handle that.

because of all the schlepping i do, i like to arrive at a area very early to get the primo spots. paying 10 bucks to save me a 100 yards of walking is well worth it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Harvey
TransPak my stuff and some of my sons gear fits and you can strap it to your back. Two sizes, get the largest one.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Before we got a locker at Gore, we used one of those big rolling bags - it fit 4 pairs of boots, four helmets, gloves, drinks, snacks, etc.  It could be pulled by anyone, including a kid, and we then just divvied up the rest of the skis and poles among those who could carry them.  The big bag doesn't fit in the locker, so now we all have individual trans packs for the boots. This actually works better for us now, because the kids keep all of their stuff at the Mountain Adventure trailer and the trans packs can be stuffed into the locker when emptied.  They also are great as airplane carry-ons.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
transpacks hands down are one of the most popular backpack style boot bags out there. base price for an adult is i believe $40 and go up to $90, difference between the different models are going to be  waterproof bottom, size, pockets, vents, and overall quality between low end and high end. much nicer, heavier duty material at the $60 price and up. 2 boot pockets on the side with a big pocket in the center. the big pocket will easily fit pants, gloves, helmet, light base layer, and lunch. if you are like me and want to fit everything, it will be pretty tight and will require some neat folding of cloths. as an overall bag though its easily the most popular of the brand we sell at the shop as well as what i see the most at the ski areas. i myself cant stand them but thats because i like a dufflebag style where i can fit everything i need in it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Transpack it is. Thanks for the info everyone.

The TRV Pro looks pretty nice:

Any of the junior bags small enough for a tike?

Condor where do you work?

If possible or convenient I'd buy from a bricks and mortar ski shop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
i work at the alpine sports shop in saratoga springs NY. 399 clinton street. family owned and operated for over 70yrs. we have a very big sale every year in august, this year it starts the 18th and goes for a week and then we are open for the season. we will have all of last years gear marked low and this years gear will also be on sale. also if you are interested, depending on what you already have for the kids we do a lease program. used skis, boots, poles for $99. you have them from november-april. if you want to lease all new skis/boots/poles its $200, and you can also do any variation, ie new ski used boot and pole for around $160. pm me if you have any questions. and yes they do make kid sized transpacks in many different colors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Condor wrote
i work at the alpine sports shop in saratoga springs NY. 399 clinton street. family owned and operated for over 70yrs. we have a very big sale every year in august, this year it starts the 18th and goes for a week and then we are open for the season. we will have all of last years gear marked low and this years gear will also be on sale. also if you are interested, depending on what you already have for the kids we do a lease program. used skis, boots, poles for $99. you have them from november-april. if you want to lease all new skis/boots/poles its $200, and you can also do any variation, ie new ski used boot and pole for around $160. pm me if you have any questions. and yes they do make kid sized transpacks in many different colors.
We'll be up at the end of August, unfortunately after the sale. Will check it out. Maybe we can work it out so we're in the store when you are working.

We looked through the kiddie packs and somehow I'd missed all the color options. The key for selling that gear to Neve is .... pink ... flowers... and Transpack has that in spades. Sold.

As for the kiddie skis etc, which we definitely need, I'll probably have to stick with Gear Source on that.  Great deals as well, and gotta support that ski shop in North Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
We normally run the sale for a couple weeks even though it's only advertised for a week so you should be fine. I work weds thurs until september when rafting ends (started working at sacandaga outdoor center).
Reply | Threaded
|

snowman
I looked at the transpacks, but went with the Bootie Transport Pack 25L, although I don't like the name. :-)
This bag acts more like a back pack when you don't have your boots in it.  I can ski with it and tuck in the boot pockets.
The helmet goes in the mesh bag on the front.
Downside is boots are outside the bag, so I stuff socks or a plastic bag on snowy / rainy days.
The transpacks are bigger, but seem a little awkward.

http://store.rossignol.com/products/283782?action_type=changeproduct&selectedproduct=98b1bacaf1e33082f452cdf5d92b12bc

Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
Hey Harv, heard you made out well. Sorry I wasn't around, haha was busy next door laying some cement.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Alpine Sport Shop seems like a good place.  Must be to be open for so many years in that low traffic location.

The woman who helped us acted like an owner. Eye contact immediately upon entering. Lots of help, we were in and out in under ten minutes which was key as we had a long day.

She told me about the planned trip to Whistler, when I asked if Condor was going, she said ... "oh no he'll be working!"

Sorry we missed you Condor.

Thanks for everyone's help/recommendation on the Transpacks. I spent time last night figuring if we could now make only one trip from the car upon arrival at a ski mountain.  Will let you know how it works out.