Haystack, VT: Advertising Campaign

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Haystack, VT: Advertising Campaign

Jamesdeluxe
These are in Manhattan's financial district. I'm pretty sure that the Private Skiing pic was taken out west.

Batter up!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Haystack, VT: Advertising Campaign

Harvey
Administrator
I think she is going to be cold in that outfit.

Also I wonder if guys who can afford private jets can bend their knees as much as that guy/girl in the second pic.

Looks like Haystack is on or close to the spine... how much snow do they get? Wiki says 150.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Harvey wrote
I think she is going to be cold in that outfit.

Also I wonder if guys who can afford private jets can bend their knees as much as that guy/girl in the second pic.

Looks like Haystack is on or close to the spine... how much snow do they get? Wiki says 150.
They get nearly as much as killington. It's not a huge difference. They're on the spine.

That private mountain is a joke. If I had that type money to spend, I'd buy my own ski area or at least buy a condo out west. No reason at all for skiing subpar conditions(compared to out west) when I'm flying in anyway.

If you really had a private jet/filthy rich, would you choose haystack?? If you want private skiing you could fly out to grand targhee and do their cat skiing or do heli skiing all across the rockies. I'm not sure who their demographic is. People who can't ski powder, but like the image of it? Because if you got a jet and are a powder hound, you're not flying to VT. I'd really like to see haystack brought back as a public mountain.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
And another thing. It's not truly private skiing anyway. Get a choppa! or a CAT skiing operation or buy your own mountain if you want truly private skiing. Its simply uncrowded skiing. Plenty of places to hit up mid week in VT where it's not crowded. It's just people who don't want to ski with the peasants and money is no object to them. So we'll see how many people have that amount of money to burn if it succeeds. Hermitage relies on big time income inequality to work and a customer base that doesn't know much about skiing. We do have that.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm buying this place out in Deer Valley when I'm older.  When I buy it, I will invite some people from this site over for a drink at the end of the ski day.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
These are in Manhattan's financial district. I'm pretty sure that the Private Skiing pic was taken out west.
Funny, that last picture doesn't look much like VT skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
They get nearly as much as killington. It's not a huge difference. They're on the spine.
Because 150 is more than half of 250?
Reply | Threaded
|

CapnJazzHands
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
New Money amirite? As much as I want to hate on this, if it keeps that element off the mountains I prefer, let them have their little club.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Because 150 is more than half of 250?
Yeah if you want to believe ski areas and wikipedia instead of climate data. Sure. I pay no attention to what ski areas report. I look at the climate data of the area. They're very similiar at mid elevation at both mountains. Slightly more at killington due to being a little farther north and obviously killington is higher so the upper part of killington will get more. Not a huge difference though between mt snow/bromley/okemo/haystack and killington. Both are under 200 inches average at mid elevation in my opinion.(killington slightly under 200... over 200 at summit is possible, but your skiing whole mountain) Look at climate like bennington/brattelboro vs burlington. Snowfall is very similar even though one is near mass border and one is near canadian border. Elevation and location on the spine is the most important by far. Killington doesn't wildly exaggerate though in my opinion. They're pretty close. And southern VT areas keep it real. Their averages are right in alignment with climate of the area in my opinion. Northern VT is where I really start questioning the averages being reported.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242

You have absolutely no clue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I haven't skied Haystack in years, but it always sucked. I only went because our ski club was going there, back when they wouldn't tell you where they were going until you showed up that morning for the bus, or the friends I was with were too cheap to go a bit further to Mount Snow. Fancy ad copy doesn't change that suckiness.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Spongeworthy wrote
I haven't skied Haystack in years, but it always sucked. I only went because our ski club was going there, back when they wouldn't tell you where they were going until you showed up that morning for the bus, or the friends I was with were too cheap to go a bit further to Mount Snow. Fancy ad copy doesn't change that suckiness.
I agree with you 1000%. The reason it went under was because it also sucked relatively to the areas around it that got more snow.

Why would someone who has enough dough to hop in a jet at will wander out of work to go ski Haystack? Trick question, if that guy is a skier he's off to Jackson. You bascially can't find one of these "private" type ski areas in the northeast that are a success. If the hill is good and people want to be there, they would charge a boatload for day tickets like everywhere else and try to sell a million a year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
The only good thing I remember about Haystack was trudging out to the cliff to smoke a bowl and enjoy the view.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
ml242 wrote
You bascially can't find one of these "private" type ski areas in the northeast that are a success.
Exhibit A -- the late, lamented Bear Creek Mountain Club at Round Top: 2004 feature article and Snowjournal thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Somebody explained the Yellowstone Club, a mega rich private ski area right next to Big Sky in Montana (Bill Gates, Greg Lemond), by telling me that the super duper rich aren't necessarily narcissistic assholes in this regard, they just want a safe place to ski without being hassled, especially for their family. Whatever. At least that place is a real mountain. Haystack? Really? Hey, we should all be cheering it on, so those people stay away from our mountains.

Where's that private jet going to land?

edit: wow, I just don't know how to react to this: http://hermitageclub.com/the-vision/meet-our-founder/  So, basically he started out as a glorified garbage collector and branched off into janitorial work. And proud of it.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
You bascially can't find one of these "private" type ski areas in the northeast that are a success.
Holimont has a private on the weekends/public midweek system set up that sounds intriguing. No idea if it makes good money...
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Private clubs are a common occurence in Ontario believe it or not.  We have 10 private clubs in Ontario.  The close proximity to Toronto allows this to happen.  They are insanely expensive as well and non are over 700 feet vertical.  All of them have an initation fees anywhere from 10K to 60K.  Most of them are around 35K.  None of them have any trouble filling up. Its seems crazy to me but is normal to some.  A few of the private clubs even send a bus around daily to pick up little Mickey and Suzie.  They are run like private golf clubs (for three months of the year).  Take a look:

http://www.chestnutpark.com/blog/2012/02/comparing-collingwoods-top-private-ski-clubs-which-one-is-right-for-your-family/

This article is an interesting read on this culture:
http://skicanadamag.com/features/members-only
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
BigK75 wrote
This article is an interesting read on this culture:
http://skicanadamag.com/features/members-only

I am reminded of one of the rules in the Millionaire Next Door. Never join a country club. The number one sinkhole of finances for the aspirational middle class.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Benny Profane wrote
I am reminded of one of the rules in the Millionaire Next Door. Never join a country club. The number one sinkhole of finances for the aspirational middle class.
Agreed. The golf league I'm in is bad enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
http://hermitageclub.com/membership/membership-levels/

Only 65K to join....plus about 10 annually....and build a house...and 1400 vertical feet...and the traffic of southern vt...oh wait, i think we get to fly there.