Heads up for 18/19

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Heads up for 18/19

raisingarizona
I don't want to get too excited but things are looking like this season might be the big one for the 4 corners region. The 15 year storm kids, we haven't seen an October moisture train like this since the fall of 04. That year the AZ Snowbowl had one of the deepest bases in the world. We ended up with over 500 inches on the mountain by May.

If any of yous guys have ever wanted to visit places like Telluride, Durango, Silverton, Crested Butte or Taos, this might be the year for it.

It's still early but man, we are just getting pummeled.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Heads up for 18/19

ScottyJack
Pls keep the updates flowin.  I start traveling out west for sking this year.  I want to ski taos so bad!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Me too, I haven't been yet. I keep hearing it's one of the very best mountains in the country when they have snow. Steep and technical, much like the NF Crested Butte stuff. I met their mountain manager a few years ago at a IMBA meeting and he said Jackson is easy compared to Taos terrain!

If you can time it right go to Silverton as well. A bluebird day at Silverton right after a big storm with a couple heli drops is like nothing else.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Sunrise over the Inner Basin, yesterday. Photo by Jayson Coil.

Aerial of Snowbowl, also yesterday. Photo by John Dillon.

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Thanks for the pics.  Watching the weather for Taos with interest.  Will be there mid-January with friends and have other friends going the first week of Feb.  If things work out, may go check out Wolf Creek and/or Crested Butte for the first time after Taos.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Pls keep the updates flowin.  I start traveling out west for sking this year.  I want to ski taos so bad!!
If you want company and some guiding for the challenging terrain, there is a mini-Gathering the first week of February.  A friend of mine from DC set things in motion a few weeks ago.

The double-black terrain of Taos seriously challenging.  One reason the Taos Ski Week was so important was that otherwise relatively few people would ski well enough to enjoy even the black terrain.  What impressed me in the last couple years is how many expert skiers  do a Taos Ski Week annually.  But after seeing how much smoother my ski buddy was after a couple days, it started making sense.  He was skiing the bumps at Aspen in high school and mid-60s, so has been a pretty good skier for quite a long time.  He did a second Ski Week last season and is going back for a third in early Feb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by marznc
Wolf Creek is ok, it's often the early season go to but the mountain overall is really flat. the Butte though is one of North America's quintessential mountain towns. It's a classic and the mountain has some of the gnarliest billy goat-ing steeps I've ever seen. Tie in Silverton for the triple combo and super epic trip. Do at least one heli drop! It's worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
One more.....photo by C. Thomas.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
That last one's a beauty, RA.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s the backside of the ski area from Lockett Meadow. I wish I had some time to enjoy this fall and the amazing weather.

Back to studying.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
There's a 99% chance I'll be skiing the Snow Bowl in February, so I hope you're right!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by marznc
Thx so much for the offer!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A Basin opens Friday!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
From a few days ago.

It was dumping down to 6k this morning.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona