Health Benefits of Skiing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Health Benefits of Skiing

Ethan Snow
I was going through some old documents today and found this. It actually started as a research paper I did for a Freshmen Comp class in which we were given the freedom to pick any topic as it was the first real assignment. After receiving an A, I made a new version that was a little less academic.  Anyway, I figured some of you guys may find it interesting, and I wanted to share it. It's got some interesting stuff in it that I didn't even know before, so please read.

The question that every one of us have been wondering; “What is it about skiing that’s so special”? I did some research and found that there really are scientific factors that make this sport so special and even somewhat addicting.

What follows is an overview of my key points. (FYI this is not my research paper).
According to Courtney Eaton at the University of New Hampshire, skiing promotes physical, mental, social, and emotional aspects of wellness. Participating in outdoor winter sports such as skiing may help you feel happier and healthier this winter season.

Several health factors that the average person may not think about can be derived from outdoor winter sports. Skiing forces people to spend time in the fresh air, and natural ultra-violet light. Those who hibernate will be more likely to experience the effects of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Seasonal affective disorder is not uncommon among those who live in the Northeast. One of the most common treatments for SAD is known as bright light therapy. This is the process of administering about 2500 lumens of light to the recipient at eye level.          

Skiing forces you to spend time in natural sunlight. The amount of light you experience during the day can range from about 10,000 lumens on a sunny summer day to about 1,000 on an overcast winter day. Even when it is cloudy, you still receive a large amount of natural UV light. Another factor that needs to be considered is the reflection from the snow. The snow reflects much of the light from the sun back toward the atmosphere. You can benefit from that as well. According to NASA, fresh snow reflects about 94% of incoming UV-B radiation, while things like pavement or vegetation only reflect about 4%  As you ski, you spend a lot of time looking directly at the snow. Even on a cloudy winter day, you have about 940 lumens of light projected into your eyes, and much more on a sunny day. In a sense, spending time outside in the snow is a natural form of light therapy without having to go to a lab. We do not necessarily all need to be skiers to reap this benefit, however. Simply spending time outside in the snow or engaging in some other form of exercise such as snowshoeing would reap the same benefits.  

Engaging in physical activity in general is always a good way to improve one’s health. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Moderate to vigorous physical activity generates the brain to release endorphins, adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine, which are chemicals that make you feel good." What's awesome about skiing is that it combines all these factors into one. Skiing is a proprioceptive sport. Proprioception is defined as "one’s ability to feel the position of different body parts and the effort that goes into moving them.” This in and of itself is almost the definition of skiing because skiing involves quite a bit of balance and coordination. Proprioceptive activities will also help to prevent aging. In other words, the more you ski, the better your balance will be throughout your life.  Another physical aspect of skiing is joint movement.  When you ski, you are carrying all your weight on your feet. Therefore your knees endure the weight and are strengthened as a result. If you have been skiing for a while, the good news is that you have been strengthening your knees and legs all along and will be less vulnerable to injury later in life. You are also strengthening your bones.

Skiing is an interval training sport. Interval training requires short bursts of energy for a short period of time followed by a resting period. A typical ski run lasts one to three minutes followed by a several-minute lift ride. This is an excellent way to stay in good shape. Skiing also engages your stomach muscles, which increases your core stability, and promotes weight loss. Another aspect of skiing that promotes weight loss is simply spending time in cold temperatures. Your body has to raise its own temperature in order to stay warm while in a cold environment, burning even more calories. Humans and mammals shiver to keep warm by increasing the number of calories your body burns, resulting in higher body temperature.

Although much of this information may be somewhat obvious, It proves just how awesome the sport is. You no longer have to feel guilty spending large sums of cash, knowing how good skiing is for you.  Skiing can also be socially uplifting. There’s nothing like spending time skiing with friends all day, and having other people to share the experience with. Often times the visual experience associated with skiing is also very satisfying.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Health Benefits of Skiing

ScottyJack
way way too long....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
It's long. That's for sure. But still only about 700 words.

Of still rather read something interesting as such instead of 500 pages of political BS in the OT
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Yes, but, most people don't ski hard enough to get the exercise benefits. Most skiers ski and stop-ski and stop ad infinitum,
rarely skiing top to bottom. Also, there are wearing so many clothes and packing so many chemical heaters that they are never shivering. Biking is very similar to skiing. You can pedal about 5 mph and coast a lot and never break a sweat but brag about biking for 2 hours. I think recreational skiing which is what the majority of skiers do, is akin almost to bowling. It's a social activity that requires a modest set of skills.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
http://www.livestrong.com/article/307930-how-many-calories-are-burned-in-downhill-skiing/

I think this is recreational skiing quoted for cals burned.  Higher lever skiers ski longer between stopping and at much greater intensity though experts are much more efficient in their skiing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

The real health benes come après ski!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Yes, but, most people don't ski hard enough to get the exercise benefits. Most skiers ski and stop-ski and stop ad infinitum,
rarely skiing top to bottom. Also, there are wearing so many clothes and packing so many chemical heaters that they are never shivering. Biking is very similar to skiing. You can pedal about 5 mph and coast a lot and never break a sweat but brag about biking for 2 hours. I think recreational skiing which is what the majority of skiers do, is akin almost to bowling. It's a social activity that requires a modest set of skills.
True. I still think the light therapy part is cool, and I did mention that the sport was socially uplifting.

For someone like me, I would not describe it as a "modest set of skills." I am not a racer, but I definitely get a workout with a day of skiing, and I always attempt to grow my skill set.

The type of skier you're describing is not really a skier IMO. Just a person who likes to ski for fun once in a while. Anyone who takes the sport seriously should be able to reap the health benefits IMO. It's definitely a big part of it for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Good job Ethan! It's really fun when you can mix your passions with college papers.

When I took PSY 101 we had a series of papers (around 10 or so throughout the semester) where we had to relate the current topics to something we can relate to in our lives. I used back country skiing and heuristics for every paper. The class wasn't that hard really but man it sure was an easy A using that theme on my papers.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
I agree with you. You cant underestimate the value of the light therapy and the socialization aspect of skiing. Sometimes I wish cell phones didn't work on the mt. Conversation is hard to initiate when everyone whips out their phones immediently.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Problem with light therapy is your goggles filter a lot out. On a cloudy day anyhow.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That's a good point Camp. Breaking bones isn't really good for you is it? I was gonna say that skiing's main health benefit for me is that it motivates me to go to the gym. One or two days a week of skiing isn't really enough to keep me in shape but I can certainly tell the difference in my skiing when I'm in shape versus when I'm not. This year I've been some place in the middle.

Nice article though, Ethan. All good points. I give it an A.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Brownski wrote
 I was gonna say that skiing's main health benefit for me is that it motivates me to go to the gym.
Same here..couldn't agree more. Going to the gym surely pays off when it comes to skiing. Strength and flexibility a huge plus in addition to the mental component of not worrying about getting injured, as one may worry about if out of shape. Also, cardio fitness a big plus when skiing, shoeing, or hiking at high altitude.
"Feets fail me not"